Anyone using Zoom LiveTrak L-12

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tmray

Anyone using Zoom LiveTrak L-12

Post by tmray »

The band has been talking about getting a Zoom LiveTrak L-12, but before plunking down the money for it I was curious if anyone has tried running it on a Linux OS?

My set up would mainly be using Ardour and I want to get it running for multitrack recordings. So just curious to see how well it works if anyone knows.

I know that all the tracks are also able to record as separate files on an sd card but I'd rather use it directly instead of importing files if I could.
Singer for the open source, creative commons band Lorenzo's Music.
Everything we make is done with open source software and tools including our latest release
Rom-Comm Mixtape - https://open.spotify.com/album/7KnhZZKSNuy5ahbQd6ga8O

uulbri
Established Member

Re: Anyone using Zoom LiveTrak L-12

Post by uulbri »

Hello,
Any chance you got the answer by now ?

I am planning to buy it, and replace my Yamaha MG12XU (which was perfectly compatible but with a pretty standard USB interface 2in/2out).
I would probably use the same setup (Ardour). My only question is the same as yours: Is this beast seen as a 14in/4out USB sound device... ?

Thank you in advance if you got any answer.

uulbri
Established Member

Post by uulbri »

I couldn't resist and bought one...

First Everything works perfectly with jackd, which is really cool. All 14ins and 4outs are correctly detected, and in Ardour it's a pleasure to record in parallel...

But very surprisingly:
  • I couldn't having it setup correctly with bare ALSA. alsamixer keeps on showing "This sound device does not have any capture controls" for the capture part and "Internal validity" for the playback part... which is non-sense. I cannot even understand how jack can fully work with such a broken setup in ALSA...
  • PulseAudio doesn't see the 4 outs as two separated stereo channels (which actually it is physically...) but as an analog-surround-40, resulting in everything sent to the two stereo channels at once. And for the capture although it detects it is a multichannel-input, it is considered as one input of the 14 channels equally mixed...
Any idea/help appreciated...
--
Uulbri

naught101
Established Member

Post by naught101 »

uulbri wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:23 pm
First Everything works perfectly with jackd, which is really cool. All 14ins and 4outs are correctly detected, and in Ardour it's a pleasure to record in parallel...
Hey Uulbri,
did you have to do anything special to get the livetrak to be recognised? I have a livetrak8, but have just plugged it in to my laptop for the first time, and am not getting any response - it shows up with lsusb, but it doesn't show up in alsamixer or in cadence as an actual sound card. Wondering if there are some particular packages I need to install or anything?

uulbri
Established Member

Post by uulbri »

Starts being a while now.

I don't remember having done anything very specific for jackd apart maybe installation related to generic USB devices handling, which actually I have been doing much earlier for other USB hardware, and that I don't remember. One thing, you have to avoid USB 1.1 ports (I don't know what your laptop is providing...)

The status is still the same as in my previous post (Ubuntu 18.04)
  • ALSA: KO (which still makes absolutely no sense to me)
  • Pulsaudio: Almost ok for a desktop usage
  • Jackd: Fully working
The only, but very important thing to do is to switch to "class compliant mode" (in the back-panel of the device)

My sample rate is 48MHz (same as what I did setup in jackd), 41MHz is working as well, I'm not sure I ever tried 96MHz...

Are you sure you did setup correctly jackd. Mine was working before buying this device. So I knew everything was ok beforehand.
alsamixer, as I reported definitely doesn't work. I don't use cadence, are you sure it's actually using jackd as sound backend ? What is your distro ?
--
Uulbri

naught101
Established Member

Post by naught101 »

uulbri wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Are you sure you did setup correctly jackd. Mine was working before buying this device. So I knew everything was ok beforehand.
alsamixer, as I reported definitely doesn't work. I don't use cadence, are you sure it's actually using jackd as sound backend ? What is your distro ?
Thanks for the reply. I think I had the wrong version of jackd installed. Works now with jack2. On kubuntu 20.04.

I actually have a Livetrak 8, which doesn't have the external power supply. However, it requires you to unplug the USB in order to switch it to iOS/standards-compliant mode, which powers it down. That means that the only way to run it as an interface is on batteries, and it runs the batteries flat pretty quick. Pretty annoying. I guess I could just record stuff to the SD card, and import it manually, but it'd be nicer to just have things work. Still not sure if I'll keep trying. The livetrak 12 seems a bit big to me, but I also haven't seen many other good alternatives that can act as a mixer, multi-track recorder, AND as a USB interface..

NoMasters
Established Member

Post by NoMasters »

So you were able to get Jack to recognize the L-8? I haven't had any such luck. I've done a bunch of searching on this and this seems to be the only thread. I even wrote Zoom and they just plainly said they don't support linux. Personally I wish Jack was more approachable I've been using Linux for years personally and professionally and I still can never seem to get Jack working correctly.

uulbri
Established Member

Post by uulbri »

As long as you set the device in "compliant mode", which in Zoom language means "Connecting to an iOS device" (it is well known that iOS devices are the embodiment of "compliance" and "standard"...), it should be detected automatically by jack (if you have a reasonably fresh enough and working install of jack).
--
Uulbri