Selecting a recording mixer / interface

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bs89
Established Member

Selecting a recording mixer / interface

Post by bs89 »

Hello all. I've been using a Presonus Firepod firewire mixer for more than 8 years. Recently JACK and Lubuntu 18.04 have given many issues after regular software updates. I'm wondering what other options are available while my current setup remains defunct until proper diagnosis. Even when my setup is functioning (Firepod, JACK, & Audacity), it's hideously buggy and tempermental.

I require 10 or more individual tracks in, for mixing purposes. I've had 8 inputs for years but want to add more channels around the studio. Firewire support appears to be a dying thing, fueling interest in other options.

Are there any USB mixers / interfaces that send individual tracks to the computer? A stereo mix is not enough.

Thanks for reading, and my apologies if a similar discussion exists elsewhere; I did not find a similar thread upon a search. Long live linux, and much praise to its freedom.
wjl
Established Member

Re: Selecting a recording mixer / interface

Post by wjl »

Hey bs89,

I think lots of mixers exist which send individual tracks via their USB interfaces - and from a talk of Paul Davis (Jack, Ardour) I know that your typical Behringer X32 is one of them. Hear his talk and so on following the links on my page if you wish:

https://wolfgang.lonien.de/2017/05/than ... to-others/

Hope that helps,
and cheers,
Wolfgang

P.S.: the smaller Behringers which derived from this should also work, maybe even the cheaper Soundcraft ones - but I haven't tested those myself...
more about me on my blog
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

At least in budget devices, usb mixers send to usb only 2 channels (all mixed). To get 8 channels to computer simultaneously you will need minimum 8 channel audio interface (or several smaller ones).

So search for 'audio interface' instead of mixer.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

wjl, thanks for the info. That Behringer is way too much for my needs, though. Phantom power, 10 + channels w/ gain controls, individual into the computer is all I need. Everything else is done in software.

tavasti, yes - "recording interface" yields better search results than "recording mixer" does.

Hoping to find something soon as my studio has outgrown the number of inputs on my mixer. Perhaps I'll have to contact the companies directly about USB channel quantities.
bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

There are some mixers with digital optical connections. Perhaps a soundcard which has an optical connection is what I'm in need of, since I want at least 10 inputs to the computer?
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

Behringer UFX1604, Soundcraft MTK12/MTK22, Behringer X(R)18, X32(R), Personus Studiolive III, as Fadermixer or Rackmixer 16R, 24R, 32R, Motu AVB series. There are plenty of options.
bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

What does "USB (2x2)" "USB, Firewire (16x4)" mean?
bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

Drumfix, I answered my own question. "USB #/#" refers to the number of USB inputs and outputs.

The MTK 22 looks particularly good. That'd offer me 16 channels with phantom power as well as EQ & compression on each track. That'd save me some time editing in clunky old Audacity. One day maybe I'll learn Ardour.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have to keep researching. I'm surprised there aren't many guides online comparing and contrasting all this. Or, maybe I just haven't found it.
bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

Is it possible to playback 16 tracks into the 22 MTK, and mix them on the board? That'd be a huge upgrade over mixing on a software mixer.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

bs89 wrote:Is it possible to playback 16 tracks into the 22 MTK, and mix them on the board? That'd be a huge upgrade over mixing on a software mixer.
Just google for "MTK Recording Guide".
bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

Thanks for the info and the tips. I'm on the hunt for a MTK 22. Let the recording upgrade fun begin ...
bs89
Established Member

Post by bs89 »

Just as an update, I bought a MTK 22 and it's been horrible getting linux set correctly with this mixer. Perhaps Audacity is the culprit. It is impossible to adjust for latency as the amount of latency varies from take to take. I never had this issue before, nor do I understand how it is happening. Regardless, Audacity directly connects to the mixer via ALSA, so I don't need to run JACK for now. I will if I ever get used to Ardour. I might have to start a new thread on understanding JACK's settings, because there apparently is no user manual for this complicated program.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

I am myself thinking of purchasing a new USB audio interface, I found out that the Zoom UAC-2 may be my best choice, it has MIDI and ultra-low latency, but for that, it makes use of USB 3.0. My computer only has USB 2.0, would that be a problem? Does JACK support USB 3.0 devices?

Thanks a lot

Cheers,

Att.: Rodney
tezza1971

Post by tezza1971 »

There are many different version of the X32 and you should be able to pick up one cheap second hand. They have been around for a while now.

I had a quick look at Wolfgang's page and basically, the X32 should do fine because it is "class compliant" (plug and play).

have had a very pleasant experience using the X32. It's well worth the money, even if you don't think you need all that functionality now. It has a lot of depth.

I had that 1204 mixer (same as the 1604 but less channels) and it was a faulty piece of garbage. The X32 was at least designed by MIDAS even that the X32 uses cheaper parts than the Midas version.

I have the PreSonus studio mobile `192 but of course no Linux support. I think I will sell it and buy the X32.

The X32 has a remote control desktop app which is written in Java so shuld have no issues running on linux. I have noticed that Behringer often has Linux driver support but that was a while ago.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Zoom LiveTrak L-12 (or L-20 if 12 channels is not enough).
i'm using L-12 and absolutely satisfied with it.
it can record its 12 tracks + stereo master (totally 14 tracks) to an SD card simultaneously (24 bit / 44 or 48 kHz, or just 12 tracks in 96 kHz with mixer's onboard DSP EQ/reverb unavailable).
in compliant mode, it also works as USB 14 in / 4 out audio interface.