Fanless video card

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Fanless video card

Post by Michael Willis »

My video card is easily the most noisy thing in my studio right now. In order to cut down on noise, I'm considering getting a video card that does not have a fan. This is a dedicated music/audio production computer, I don't play games on it, so I don't think that GPU performance is much of a consideration at all. I have two monitors, one with a VGA cable and one with a DVI cable. Eventually I would like to upgrade them to both have digital inputs (no VGA), so ideally a new video card would have something like VGA + DVI + HDMI, or VGA + DVI + DVI.

The two top results when I search for "fanless video card" on newegg seem like they would do, but they're both around $70; it seems like I should be able to find something cheaper than that, given that I just want it to be quiet and not choke while displaying 2d graphics on dual monitors. Does anybody have a recommendation?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: Fanless video card

Post by Jack Winter »

Stupid question. You don't happen to have an i7 with built in GPU that you could use?

I'd also suggest staying away from nvidia (at least the proprietary driver) if you use a realtime kernel. Have no idea how well nouveau and amd gpus work..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

Look for the Zotac GeForce GT-710 2GB (ZT-71302-20L), it's available for about 40€ here in Europe and has VGA, DVI, HDMI outputs.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Jack Winter wrote:Stupid question. You don't happen to have an i7 with built in GPU that you could use?
It's not stupid, I gave you no indication of my mobo/proc combo. I have ye olde AMD Athlon II.