Ubuntu Studio on a Mac Mini?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mark swanson
Established Member

Ubuntu Studio on a Mac Mini?

Post by mark swanson »

I have a Mac Mini on which I used to run Pro Tools. I no longer use that, instead I use Tracktion's Waveform. it runs on Linux....so I was wondering how difficult it might be to install Ubuntu Studio on the Mac Mini that is now doing nothing....Does anyone have any experience there? is there a different Ubuntu flavor I should use? Thank you folks!
mark swanson
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio on a Mac Mini?

Post by mark swanson »

Well, I bit the bullet tonight and I went ahead and installed Ubuntu Studio on my Mac Mini. It seems to have gone just fine, but I don't know my way around the desktop very well. And I have experienced several crashes of the DAW I prefer to use, Waveform. I don't know how to get my interface installed....it seems I have a lot to learn.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm curious how this will turn out. What interface are you using? Are you recording audio, sequencing midi, or a combination of the two?
mark swanson
Established Member

Post by mark swanson »

It's been a while now and I can say that I have everything working good, to the best of my knowledge. I am running Tracktion Waveform 9, and I have a bunch of plugins, and everything seems to be running fine!
I have the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra interface, it is obsolete for Windows 8/10 systems and so I just had it sitting around. It is a decent interface for the most part, even though it was a bit hard to get it set up right. it took me a while to figure that out but once I did it seems to be working great! I intend to use Midi too but I don't think I have that part of the interface working yet and I haven't even tried it yet.
But all in all, I am very impressed! being new to Linux at all, I really like it and am very glad I did it.