M-audio, one good, one bad

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

M-audio, one good, one bad

Post by folderol »

Recently I bought an M-audio M-track 8 and an M-audio Midisport 4 x 4

First the good.
The M-track 8 was plug and play. Round trip latency at 48k 64 frames/period is 8.02mS measured with jack-iodelay.
Inputs and outputs are clean and quiet.

Now the bad.
The Midisport 4x4 has a serious design problem.

If you start up your hardware synths before the unit is not only up and running, but also is connected to software, it either has ridiculous latency or fails to operate at all. This is quite unsuitable for a fixed recording studio situation, so I will be returning it.

The original Midisport 2x2 doesn't have this problem and has worked for years in this exact configuration so I'll be going back to that. I had been hoping to be able to do away with daisy-chaining synths (with the attendant risk of congestion).
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
briandc
Established Member

Re: M-audio, one good, one bad

Post by briandc »

These things are very good to know. Thank you, foderol!
Btw, (no highjacking intended)-- I can't remember offhand, is there a running working-hardware list for linux somewhere around here? A database of working devices would be a great help for anyone and everyone, wouldn't it?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Musinux
Established Member

Re: M-audio, one good, one bad

Post by Musinux »

@folderol
thanks for sharing your experiences!

@briandc
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/hw/start is up again.

Most of the interfaces listed are not available anymore.
Since there are class-compliant devices, which work out-of-the-box everywhere in theory, there shouldn't be the need to include them in a wiki, anyway.

Practically, it depends on what you define "works" with.
Playing audio does in fact work with nearly every class-compliant devices without further action.
Fine grained control over the mixers is mostly restricted to closed source drivers on win and macOS.
I've used the RME Babyface for example, which sounds great and works great with 2in/2out for me, but not with more in/outs (and it has a class-compliante mode).

Nearly all ethernet audio interfaces seem to workaround those driver issues, but they are expensive.

Information for linux audio is scattered because there are so many interests and use cases.