Motu Ultralite Mk4 -> any luck with web interface?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Motu Ultralite Mk4 -> any luck with web interface?

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

Craziest thing - I accidentally bought a Motu Ultralite Mk 4.

It works (and sounds great) as a regular USB interface in KXStudio, but only in "Audio Interface" mode. Now, that's OK, it's all I've ever expected from a USB interface. But, hooking it up to a friend's Mac, I can use many more features... ie, effects, "Mixer" mode (to change routing, or use it without a computer), etc.

Like the Ultralite AVB, those controls are all via a web browser. So I SHOULD be able to access that from any OS. But I haven't been able to. The AVB connects via a network cable (I assume), but the Mk 4 only connects with a USB cable, and it seems like THAT software is OS-dependent.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to troubleshoot this long-distance. But maybe someone else out there has been using this with Linux?

For what it's worth, when I got this, I didn't know of Motu's (previous?) anti-Linux belligerence. I probably would have gone with something else if I'd been aware. But it IS a nice box.
Be.
Established Member

Re: Motu Ultralite Mk4 -> any luck with web interface?

Post by Be. »

The web app of the Ultralite AVB is not accessible via USB either. My laptop only has one USB-A port, so I am working around both those limitations by connecting my Ultralite AVB's USB and Ethernet connections to a USB hub with a built in Ethernet NIC. If you can still return the Ultralite Mk4 to the retailer you bought it from, you may want to exchange it for an Ultralite AVB. However, I warn you that I have been having issues with a crackling noise with the Ultralite AVB. You can follow discussion about that in the Ultralite AVB thread...
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

Great to know your experiences, thanks... and good luck.

I bought my mkIV used, so no dice on the return. I may just stick with it, since the basic 8in/8out + lightpipe functionality is (seemingly) flawless, and is really all I was counting on. But I'll keep watching your threads regarding the AVB crackle, because it WOULD be nice to be able to access other functionality without resorting to a different computer.
formuls

Post by formuls »

@ZestieBumwhig: I'd be really interested to know your system setup (Machine, OS, Jack settings, interface settings, etc.). I too have recently purchased an Ultralite MK4, and it is an awesome piece of kit...with my Mac. On Linux I'm having the periodic "bitcrushing" issue that is mentioned in other Ultralite posts. I'm running 64bit Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS on a Lenovo Thinkpad i5 and experiencing the aliasing effect, as well as channel outputs in Jack randomly reassigning themselves to other channels(?!).

Cheers!
joaommeirelles
Established Member

Post by joaommeirelles »

long time since the last post... but... do you guys manage to fix those issues? I'm having the same bitcrushing like effect here on Ubuntu studio using a macbook pro
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

Well, I stopped posting because I ended up selling it to my aforementioned friend. I can't remember, now, if I was having some glitch problems, or it just wasn't worth keeping with its reduced functionality. I think I was getting audio/dropout issues I hadn't noticed at first. Ended up getting a Scarlett 18i20.
ppp

Post by ppp »

Hello, sorry if this UP is not welcome, but i feel like trapped in a dead end so....
maybe we could understand better and get a definitive answer if there is a way of using Motu Ultralite MK4 on linux.

I'm under linux mint 19, in audio device mode, and experiencing this bitcrushing which, to me, seems more related to usb issue.
Usually after 10 minutes, the bitcrush appears and the master output become silent while (sometimes) the two last outputs of the sound device play something.
So yes it's like re-assigning.
Does the fact it happens usually after 10 minutes of inactivity could mean that the usb enters in a sleep mode? How to check that?

I tried with Arch Linux live on a usb stick, same issue.
I try to use the card with a headless raspberry pi on raspbian, and it kept working but somethin like every minutes or sometime a bit less, the output was reassigning from the master out to the 7-8 channels out every. I left it like this quite a while and it kept doing this small routine...

Any idea of a lead to debug this?

thx
manmetplok

Post by manmetplok »

I had the same problem for more then a year, today I tried the Motu again for the first in a long time, and it seems to be working flawlessly!
Also on Arch linux (using pipewire btw)

Linux bak 5.11.16-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:22:13 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Drkoma
Established Member

Post by Drkoma »

I'm also recently using a mk4 with jack. It works but looks like no way to use the web interface to configure it