Page 15 of 16

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:15 pm
by supereb
I've done some more testing. I'm able to USB with only two buffers.

The Bad: Overall latency for a given buffer size is higher, 20.3mS in Linux vs 11.7mS in Windows 10 (44.1kHz, 256).

The Good: I'm able to use much smaller buffers in Linux. I am able to run Mixbus 32C with Waves Abbey Roads Plates (CPU Hog!) at 64 samples for a latency of 7.2mS! In Windows 10, even 256 would cause high CPU with this combination.

Still interested in trying AVB but happy that overall system performance is substantially better with the Motu in Linux!

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:46 am
by Drumfix
I can put up the AVB code somewhere during the weekend. A NIC with intel i210 is currently still required.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 am
by supereb
Awesome! I’ll get an i210 nic ordered and installed.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 pm
by stanlea
Alas I have a laptop. :(

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:46 pm
by Musinux
v1.3.5+626 is out. http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog/
Implemented low bandwidth mode when both computer input and output channel count is set to 32 or lower. This will help USB compatibility with x99 chipset based systems.


Hope that it solves something even without using x99 chipsets.

BTW, nice work on all those patches and stuff, folks!

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:19 am
by ahellquist
Musinux wrote:v1.3.5+626 is out. http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog/
Implemented low bandwidth mode when both computer input and output channel count is set to 32 or lower. This will help USB compatibility with x99 chipset based systems.


Hope that it solves something even without using x99 chipsets.

BTW, nice work on all those patches and stuff, folks!

Anyone tested the 1.3.5+626 firmware regarding the prolem with weird samplerate-timing-drift that makes most previous firmwares unusable ?

/Anders

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:13 pm
by baptiste
ahellquist wrote:Anyone tested the 1.3.5+626 firmware regarding the prolem with weird samplerate-timing-drift that makes most previous firmwares unusable ?

/Anders


It's still decimating after a few minutes.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm
by ahellquist
baptiste wrote:
ahellquist wrote:Anyone tested the 1.3.5+626 firmware regarding the prolem with weird samplerate-timing-drift that makes most previous firmwares unusable ?

/Anders


It's still decimating after a few minutes.

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear there is no change.
The only thing my support requests to Motu has done so far as I can see is large statements about:
"The following versions are compatible with Mac and Windows" on different places..
They seem to not care much about the USB-CC users.

On a side note, It seems like Presonus are the people pushing AVB most theses days and let's hope that ripples the market a bit.


/Anders

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:45 pm
by supereb
Drumfix wrote:I can put up the AVB code somewhere during the weekend. A NIC with intel i210 is currently still required.


Intel i210 nic installed and operational. :)

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:36 pm
by Drumfix
You find the code here https://github.com/Drumfix/avb4linux

Special notes:

- at present only 1 8-in and 1 8-out stream is supported (rhe dirst of the interface
- all 8 channels of the szream going to the computer must be connected
- You have to edit the file kernel_module/avb-config.h and replace the MAC of the i210, the MAC of the device and the MAAP start address used by the device.
The latter 2 you will find by running wireshark on the i210 and filter for maap packets.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:20 pm
by supereb
Drumfix wrote:You find the code here https://github.com/Drumfix/avb4linux

Special notes:

- at present only 1 8-in and 1 8-out stream is supported (rhe dirst of the interface
- all 8 channels of the szream going to the computer must be connected
- You have to edit the file kernel_module/avb-config.h and replace the MAC of the i210, the MAC of the device and the MAAP start address used by the device.
The latter 2 you will find by running wireshark on the i210 and filter for maap packets.


Thank you!

8/8 and lower latency is just what I need. I'm guessing my CPU load will be lower than with USB too. Look forward to trying this.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 pm
by supereb
@Drumfix

I must be missing something on my system? When I go to make ab4linux I get this error:

Code: Select all

cc1: error: code model kernel does not support PIC mode
/bin/sh: 1: [: -ge: unexpected operator
Makefile:202: *** *** Aborting the build. *** This driver '' is not supported on kernel versions older than 2.4.21, because this driver requires NAPI support..  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/supereb/avb4linux/kernel-module/igb'
Makefile:31: recipe for target 'igb' failed
make: *** [igb] Error 2


I have gcc 4.9 and 6.3 installed if it matters...

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:23 am
by Drumfix

Code: Select all

cc1: error: code model kernel does not support PIC mode


This is a bug on newer gcc versions.

Code: Select all

/bin/sh: 1: [: -ge: unexpected operator


You are not using bash as your standard shell.

Please try the updated Makefile and report back, preferably by opening an issue on github.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:35 am
by supereb
Drumfix wrote:Please try the updated Makefile and report back, preferably by opening an issue on github.


Ok thanks, will do.

Re: Ultralite AVB

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:22 pm
by supereb
I just wanted to report that I have successfully installed and am now using Drumfix's AVB driver.

It was quite easy to install and set up as long as you follow all of the instructions (which I did not at first). :wink: