Ultralite AVB

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Musinux
Established Member

Re: Ultralite AVB

Post by Musinux »

@shellwalker:
With wrl's patch and 1.3.5+626 I get distortion after ~ 2minutes, depending on load.

Can anyone use the webinterface with chromium based browsers on Xorg? It seems to be a problem with a deprecated function (window.onupdateready) when using http instead of https, which the ultralite doesn't support. As said, firefox works.
powdaddy
Established Member

Re: New driver for Ultralite AVB

Post by powdaddy »

bluebell wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:01 pm
root2 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:41 am Seems to work fine for now, but channel hopping is still a problem
Drumfix made a new driver. It runs on my UltraLite AVB (old model) with most recent firmware without any channel hopping.

I can change jackd's buffer size down to 24 on the fly (jack_bufsize 24).

ua101.c

I tested it with Linux 5.8.0-rc7. Should work with newer kernels, too.

Installation instructions:
- get the kernel's source code
- replace sound/usb/misc/ua101.c by the file in this posting
- go back into the kernel source's main dir

Code: Select all

make oldconfig (press ENTER for new options)
make (if you have 8 cores use make -j8)
sudo make INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 modules_install install
create a file /etc/modprobe.d/motuavb.conf with the content

Code: Select all

options snd_ua101 samplerate=48000 midi=1
(you might use another samplerate)

Reboot.

I have bought last week (february 2021) the Ultralite AVB after seeing it was linux compatible on other forum/blog/recommendation website. I have discovered this thread after my purchase when facing the issue described by the other users. (sound vanishing after about 2 minutes and parasitic noise when transitioning into the void). I have the firmware 1.3.5+637 and running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal) with kernel 5.10.16.
I was able to follow the installation instructions above after downloading the stable kernel 5.10.16 (I haven't tried with the 5.11-rc version as I am not sure what difference it makes - I am a 100% newbie on Kernel topics)
Just to say, it might seems daunting for people like me to compile a linux kernel (it was my first time) but it did work and I can use my Ultralite AVB flawlessly now.

A few side note:
- I haven't create the motuavb.conf file indicated above and it seems I am running by default my interface at 44K (that's what is indicated on the display screen of the Ultralite - before installation of the driver it was 48K)
- When the sounds vanished, the square with the 'O' in the OPT box on the Ultralite screen was turning black probably indicating something related to the issue

I am so grateful there is such a community and people willing to share their knowledge and their programs to help others!
Thx to all and especially Drumfix for writing the driver

Summary:
- Ultralite AVB does not work out of the box with Ubuntu 20.04 and kernel 5.10.16 (so the patched ua101.c hasn't made it yet in the stable release per february 2021)
- Driver installation is easier than it sounds (for people not familiar with kernel compilation)
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

powdaddy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm I have bought last week (february 2021) the Ultralite AVB after seeing it was linux compatible on other forum/blog/recommendation website. I have discovered this thread after my purchase when facing the issue described by the other users. (sound vanishing after about 2 minutes and parasitic noise when transitioning into the void). I have the firmware 1.3.5+637 and running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal) with kernel 5.10.16.
I was able to follow the installation instructions above after downloading the stable kernel 5.10.16 (I haven't tried with the 5.11-rc version as I am not sure what difference it makes - I am a 100% newbie on Kernel topics)
Is it the older model or the newer with ESS chips?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

ahellquist
Established Member

Post by ahellquist »

I bought a brand new Motu 24Ai a few days ago to expand my AVB rigg and check if the same problems were present as with my Ultralites.

The box came with firmware 1.3.2+922 and was working well with my stock Ubuntu studio laptop. I did try to go back to really old firmware to be able to run more than 24 in/out over usb CC but the box refused to downgrade.. it was not possible du to compability reasons. I could upgrade to newer firmware but everything newer than 1.3.2 was unstable with drifting occuring right from the start. Downgrading was no problem and 1.3.2 is now the preferred firmware for stability.

Since all Motus Avb interfaces seemingly share much if not all avb/USB specifications I believe and hope future kernel/USB fix will also cure 24Ai and make newer firmwares with touch mix possible to use on Linux.

The firmware version numbers are very similar between the different boxes and the channel drifting problem seems to be identcal too.

I thought this would be of some interest to the thread.

/Anders
ahellquist
Established Member

Post by ahellquist »

My findings for someone that needs higher channel counts over usb with linux

If you have the "old" version of Ultralite AVB, downgrading firmware to 1.2.8+378 will unlock the "USB Mode" drop down menu.
If you run samplerate 44k1 or 48k you can change usb channels presented to host from default 24 to 32 or 64
That will give you 64 in + 64 out which is rather nice. But this is probably mostly necessary if other AVB units are used on the network.

I guess this firmware will refuse to install on newer generation Ultralite AVBs

My brand new 24Ai has 48 physical inputs and 24 physical outputs and can send and receive 96 AVB channels at the same time. A total of 168 channels
Since the 24Ai in CC mode only can handle 24+24channels it is kind of a real limitation compared to the much more limited Ultralite.

Now to my question.. Setting the 24Ai to non-CC mode using curl or similar method, will that make the interface be able to handle up to 64/64 just like with native drivers and still let Linux use the interface or what is the trick to get 64/64 on Linux with firmware that doesn't allow this.

Regards, Anders
alcomatt
Established Member

Post by alcomatt »

I guess this firmware will refuse to install on newer generation Ultralite AVBs
Indeed that is the case. you cannot install this release on newer hardware.
powdaddy
Established Member

Post by powdaddy »

bluebell wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 am
powdaddy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm I have bought last week (february 2021) the Ultralite AVB after seeing it was linux compatible on other forum/blog/recommendation website. I have discovered this thread after my purchase when facing the issue described by the other users. (sound vanishing after about 2 minutes and parasitic noise when transitioning into the void). I have the firmware 1.3.5+637 and running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal) with kernel 5.10.16.
It is the new Model with ESS chips.
powdaddy
Established Member

Post by powdaddy »

Hallo,
I have a question about the Midi connectivity of the Ultralite AVB. I am not sure I should open a new thread in the forum. Please apologize if this conversation is not the right place to discuss it.
I have plugged a midi controller (a Rolad F-120 Keyboard) to the audiointerface but I cannot see it anywhere in the routing interface of the Ultralite itself or on my computer.
In the Motu documentation for Windows and Mac, they mention some special dedicated MIDI Drivers :
I am quoting the Manuel:
MIDI I/O ON WINDOWS
On Windows, the MOTU AVB installer provides a USB MIDI driver for the UltraLite AVB. This driver allows you to access the UltraLite AVB’s MIDI input and output ports through its USB connection to the computer. The ports are published in Windows and are available to all MIDI software.
MIDI I/O SETUP ON THE MAC
Core MIDI is the “under-the-hood” component of Mac OS X that handles MIDI services for MIDI hardware and software. Core MIDI provides many universal MIDI system management features, including MIDI communication between your UltraLite AVB interface and all Core MIDI compatible software.
Does it mean I would also need a MIDI Linux Driver for the Ultralite?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

powdaddy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 pm Does it mean I would also need a MIDI Linux Driver for the Ultralite?
I don't need another driver.
Bildschirmfoto_2021-02-22_10-27-24.png
Bildschirmfoto_2021-02-22_10-27-24.png (125.59 KiB) Viewed 10002 times

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

ahellquist
Established Member

Post by ahellquist »

powdaddy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 pm Hallo,
I have a question about the Midi connectivity of the Ultralite AVB. I am not sure I should open a new thread in the forum. Please apologize if this conversation is not the right place to discuss it.
I have plugged a midi controller (a Rolad F-120 Keyboard) to the audiointerface but I cannot see it anywhere in the routing interface of the Ultralite itself or on my computer.
In the Motu documentation for Windows and Mac, they mention some special dedicated MIDI Drivers :
I am quoting the Manuel:
MIDI I/O ON WINDOWS
On Windows, the MOTU AVB installer provides a USB MIDI driver for the UltraLite AVB. This driver allows you to access the UltraLite AVB’s MIDI input and output ports through its USB connection to the computer. The ports are published in Windows and are available to all MIDI software.
MIDI I/O SETUP ON THE MAC
Core MIDI is the “under-the-hood” component of Mac OS X that handles MIDI services for MIDI hardware and software. Core MIDI provides many universal MIDI system management features, including MIDI communication between your UltraLite AVB interface and all Core MIDI compatible software.
Does it mean I would also need a MIDI Linux Driver for the Ultralite?
Try launching a2jmidid -e in a terminal and leave the terminal open..

That will bridge alsa-midi and jack-midi and possibly let you connect your device to your software.

Your Roland device will not appear in the Motu patch bay but in qjackctl or Carla or wherever you are patching.
flowkclab

Post by flowkclab »

powdaddy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:26 pm
Same here. I have a newer "ESS inside" model with firmware version 1.3.5+637. I'm on ArchLinux and compiled the driver as a separate module alongside the standard kernel version 5.10.16-arch-1. I've only tested playback for a couple of hours but so far so good. Just thought I'd share, and also say thank you!!!
alcomatt
Established Member

Post by alcomatt »

flowkclab wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:16 am

Same here. I have a newer "ESS inside" model with firmware version 1.3.5+637. I'm on ArchLinux and compiled the driver as a separate module alongside the standard kernel version 5.10.16-arch-1. I've only tested playback for a couple of hours but so far so good. Just thought I'd share, and also say thank you!!!
How exactly did you compile the separate module and which module do you mean? The drumfix one? I've been building drumfix one with arch custom kernel and while it solves the initial clock sync issues it does not fix the occasional audio glitches for me every now and then.
flowkclab

Post by flowkclab »

How exactly did you compile the separate module and which module do you mean? The drumfix one? I've been building drumfix one with arch custom kernel and while it solves the initial clock sync issues it does not fix the occasional audio glitches for me every now and then.
The module is the "ua101.c" driver file replacement I took from this thread. Basically, I just put file ua101.c along with "usbaudio,h" and "midi.h" from the Linux source in a directory with my Makefile. I used a Makefile I have from way back to play around with Linux drivers without having to re-compile the entire kernel. Then, its just a matter of running "make && sudo make install" (and rmmod/modprobe to reload). (you need the "linux-headers" package installed). Here's my Makefile:
Makefile.txt
(967 Bytes) Downloaded 96 times
alcomatt
Established Member

Post by alcomatt »

flowkclab wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:13 am
The module is the "ua101.c" driver file replacement I took from this thread. Basically, I just put file ua101.c along with "usbaudio,h" and "midi.h" from the Linux source in a directory with my Makefile. I used a Makefile I have from way back to play around with Linux drivers without having to re-compile the entire kernel. Then, its just a matter of running "make && sudo make install" (and rmmod/modprobe to reload). (you need the "linux-headers" package installed). Here's my Makefile: Makefile.txt
Amazing, thanks a mill! I was recompiling kernel each time it was released using modified PKGBUILD file but this is much neater and I can stick to official kernel releases this way! Cheers!
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

I think that AV Linux MX have a kernel with the Drumfix patch...
I've the 828es with ess chip but I can use the very first firmware as well (and I'm using it without big problems). Have you tried to write to motu? I think they need to know how many linux users bought the soundcard and still have problems with it...it's time for a 2021 firmware!