Ultralite AVB

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Peng!uin
Established Member

Re: Ultralite AVB

Post by Peng!uin »

I want to chime in and say that PipeWire neither worsens nor betters the situation. It just stays sort-of-random. After having two days of no issues at all, I just got the issue again twice in a row in a distance of 5 minutes. nothing has changed during that time frame, I've even played from the same source.
What I have observed though: Selecting a mixer preset and/or changing the sample rate can lead to the issue occurring or at least increasing the likelihood that it does.
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi,

I own a good working 828es and now also an Ultralite AVB ES version, with the channel problem and so on. So now I need the @Drumfix patch!
I've downloaded the code from github, then the source of my working kernel, then...I can't find a guide for dummies...can someone explain me how to patch my kernel step by step??

Thanks a lot!!! :D
shellwalker
Established Member

Post by shellwalker »

buonamorte.records wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:59 am Hi,

I own a good working 828es and now also an Ultralite AVB ES version, with the channel problem and so on. So now I need the @Drumfix patch!
I've downloaded the code from github, then the source of my working kernel, then...I can't find a guide for dummies...can someone explain me how to patch my kernel step by step??

Hi buonamorte,
I've not been doing this stuff for too long now, so I've forgotten the details and may be mixing up stuff.
But I think for drumfix patch things are pretty easy to compile. Just follow the sparse instructions from https://github.com/shellwalker-coder/motu-avb-usb

(I'm pointing to my fork bcos I'm not sure whether drumfix picked up a fix I contributed. )

If I remember correctly, for the drumfix method you don't need to recompile the kernel itself. But not 100% sure about this, so be careful.

For kernel compilations:
I once wrote a guide for another patch ( from wrl). That may give you a basic idea...

MOTU 828mk3, MOTU 828ES, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, https://github.com/shellwalker-coder/motu_patch_testing

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

buonamorte.records
Established Member

shellwalker wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:14 am

Hi buonamorte,
I've not been doing this stuff for too long now, so I've forgotten the details and may be mixing up stuff.
But I think for drumfix patch things are pretty easy to compile. Just follow the sparse instructions from https://github.com/shellwalker-coder/motu-avb-usb

(I'm pointing to my fork bcos I'm not sure whether drumfix picked up a fix I contributed. )

If I remember correctly, for the drumfix method you don't need to recompile the kernel itself. But not 100% sure about this, so be careful.

For kernel compilations:
I once wrote a guide for another patch ( from wrl). That may give you a basic idea...
Hi shellwalker and thanks a lot! Where can i find your guide?

When i "make":

Code: Select all

redplastic@RedPlastic:~/Modelli/MOTU/motu-avb-usb-main
$ make
Copying required header files from kernel sources...
Could not locate required header file from kernel sources: /lib/modules/5.14.0-4mx-amd64/source/sound/usb/usbaudio.h
Could not locate required header file from kernel sources: /lib/modules/5.14.0-4mx-amd64/source/sound/usb/midi.h
make -C ""/lib/modules/5.14.0-4mx-amd64/build"" M="/home/redplastic/Modelli/MOTU/motu-avb-usb-main" modules
make[1]: ingresso nella directory «/usr/src/linux-headers-5.14.0-4mx-amd64»
  CC [M]  /home/redplastic/Modelli/MOTU/motu-avb-usb-main/motu.o
  MODPOST /home/redplastic/Modelli/MOTU/motu-avb-usb-main/Module.symvers
  CC [M]  /home/redplastic/Modelli/MOTU/motu-avb-usb-main/motu.mod.o
  LD [M]  /home/redplastic/Modelli/MOTU/motu-avb-usb-main/motu.ko
make[1]: uscita dalla directory «/usr/src/linux-headers-5.14.0-4mx-amd64»
buonamorte.records
Established Member

bluebell wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814
Hi bluebell,
I think it's about an older driver, the new one shows a lot of files and no ua101.c ...
Thank you!
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

I have been running a 8pre-ES using MX Linux 18 and patched 4.19-RT kernel with Drumfix's (thanks again!) pcm.c patch and 64 channel quirk for about 2 1/2 years. It has been rock solid!

In anticipation of the upcoming release of AV Linux Bullseye edition, I have been trying to understand the newer drivers than Drumfix has since created, so I can correctly apply one of them to the newer kernel when the time comes.

Looking at the instructions for the latest driver at https://github.com/Drumfix/motu-avb-usb, it appears that the driver can be added for class compliant mode without patching/recompiling. I would like to run vendor mode, and the instructions say vendor mode requires to patch and recompile the kernel, as well as the curl command once the system is up and running. This leads me to believe that the same files can be used to patch the kernel. Is this correct, or is the statement "vendor mode requires to patch and recompile the kernel" refering to the use of the earlier method of copying over ua101.c and recompiling?
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

Wow! That was too easy! I just installed the current version of AV linux and Drumfix's USB driver. Running in class compliant mode, everything seems to be solid!
macman
Established Member

Post by macman »

I've got the ESS Version; it works for me, but there are caveats: (I use pipewire and pipewire-jack)

1) UAC mode: recording works flawlessly so far, but no playback at all, so hardware monitoring only
2) tried the drumfix, there is playback, but garbled - recording as well. probably user error?

my workflow: for tracking where I really need software monitoring, I use Auria and my Ipad...
It would be great if Motu could provide drumfix with some help to make a great driver; apart from these things, the interface is fantastic
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

Before patching kernels or installing Drumfix's driver, it seems that the problem was always on the playback side, where even though the master output on my DAW was set to channels 1/2, looking at the routing page, the signal would periodically switch to 9/10, 17/18, and since those channels weren't routed to the speaker outputs, there would be no sound until it flipped back to 1/2.

Are you sure that the Drumfix driver is loaded?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

supereb wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:16 pm Before patching kernels or installing Drumfix's driver, it seems that the problem was always on the playback side, where even though the master output on my DAW was set to channels 1/2, looking at the routing page, the signal would periodically switch to 9/10, 17/18, and since those channels weren't routed to the speaker outputs, there would be no sound until it flipped back to 1/2.

Are you sure that the Drumfix driver is loaded?
Without Drumfix' driver I had the modulo 8 channel hopping not only on the playback side. But it needed a buffer size change with jack_bufsize for it to occur on the input side.

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Hi and marry christmas!!!

With the drumfix driver is it possible to change sample rate on the fly or can i do it by modifying alsa-base.conf and rebooting? I've projects with different sample rates, so i really need to change it in a simple way...
Second question: to use vendor mode i need to recompile the kernel or not?
Thanks a lot guys, i'm trying to create a motu-based studio with 828es + ultralite avb (ess) + avb switch + 8pre-es (the last one is not yet on my table, but i own all the other stuff) and i think i'll need your help again...
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

buonamorte.records wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:56 am Hi and marry christmas!!!

With the drumfix driver is it possible to change sample rate on the fly or can i do it by modifying alsa-base.conf and rebooting? I've projects with different sample rates, so i really need to change it in a simple way...
I have an older Ultralite AVB without ESS chips and use this driver: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814

Changing buffer size with jack_bufsize works fine.

EDIT: Sorry, I was too dumb to read "sample rate" correctly.
Last edited by bluebell on Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

buonamorte.records wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:56 am With the drumfix driver is it possible to change sample rate on the fly
Not yet, but you can do a sudo rmmod motu; sudo modprobe motu samplerate=<new samplerate>.
buonamorte.records wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:56 am Second question: to use vendor mode i need to recompile the kernel or not?
Yes, because the kernel developers refuse to remove the bug. The developer in question insists that the bug is not a bug and
MOTU and a couple of other audio interface manufacturers do not known how to write proper usb descriptors.
After getting that response i decided not to waste any more time on that <deleted>.

The necessary patch:

In the kernel source file

drivers/usb/core/config.c
in function

endpoint_is_duplicate
Remove the two lines

if (e1->bEndpointAddress == e2->bEndpointAddress)
		return true;
I will be doing some changes to the driver next week. To get rid of the midi=0/1 parameter i would like anyone to sent me the iProdct string of their devices.
Do a

sudo lsusb -v | grep iProduct
and send me the iProduct string (either as private message here, or via github).
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Hi @Drumfix and thanks a lot!!
I'm really late becouse I'm moving my studio in another place...sorry!
The lsusb output: (Probably something is missing...I'm on mx)

iProduct                2 UltraLite AVB
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Another question: if I upgrade the kernel I need to re-patch it?

Thanks again!