Connect Electroacustic Guitar to laptop for recording

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lordmusician

Connect Electroacustic Guitar to laptop for recording

Post by lordmusician »

Hi there, I'm just starting with Ubuntu Studio 17.10 a new project. This is a new install. I got a new Takamine G series electroacustic guitar, and I got myself an adapter to connect the audio cable into my laptop via the built in speaker/microphone combo jack. I'm trying to record any sound, but when I connect it the device is registered as 'headphone' instead of 'microphone'. The same happens if I connect a microphone (instead of my guitar) into the combo jack. I already searched on various sources on how to make Ubuntu recognize my microphone as such and not as an output device.

I already tried HDAJackRetask but got no success. I also tried using pavucontrol, but still the device is recognized as headphone instead of microphone.

Additional info: I'm using a fresh Ubuntu Studio 17.10 install, with Gnome 3.26 installed as main DE. I got an HP Zbook 14 G2, with Intel i5-5200U CPU and Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2), and an Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller.
Also, I'm not a Pro-user, just an amateur 18-year old musician that started loving GNU/Linux about 3 years ago and had just used stock Ubuntu previously. However, I like to learn and I'm willing to do anything necessary for my microphones and input devices to be recognized as such when connected to the combo jack.
Finally, I already had success connecting my CASIO keyboard into Ardour using Jack via usb cable.

If you need any additional information from the terminal just tell me and I'll provide it to you. Thank you, any help will be appreciated!
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Connect Electroacustic Guitar to laptop for recording

Post by Pablo »

Hi,

Jack will talk directly to the alsa driver so I don't think pavucontrol or similar tools related to pulseaudio will help. That's the theory I learned but linux audio is a quickly moving target and I never know for sure.

I would start by listing the internal devices your card has, in case it uses different ones for capture
and playback. In a terminal:

Code: Select all

arecord -l && aplay -l
And, maybe, you will have to tweak something in alsamixer for the micro to work.

Code: Select all

alsamixer
brau
Established Member

Re: Connect Electroacustic Guitar to laptop for recording

Post by brau »

What adapter are you using to connect to the computer? Not all adapters are recognized. The easiest way would with a DI box.