Mac mini core 2 duo + kxstudio

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tumbiwan

Mac mini core 2 duo + kxstudio

Post by Tumbiwan »

Pretty new here folks. I messed around with linux many years ago (ubuntu, fedora, redhat, etc.) and tried a few distros out landing on ubuntu. I loved it! But since I was studying music (BM) and then recording (MA) settled pretty heavily into my mac hardware and software (protools, logic, etc).

Flash forward till now and I'm sitting with my old mac mini and decided to try out kxstudio to compose, record, etc. I can't find any easy instructions on how to install it onto my macmini. i have the iso, i managed to put it on an exFAT flashdrive using unetbootin, doubting whether it would work on the mac.

My instincts were right, I don't think that it will boot, run, or install correctly and don't want to take the risk.

Little help for the newbie???

I have ome coding experience, pd, etc, and can learn some of this stuff fast. But may need to dumb it down for me.

Thanks guys!
Tumbiwan

Re: Mac mini core 2 duo + kxstudio

Post by Tumbiwan »

Never mind, good news! my solution was to simply install ubuntu latest version. then i followed this awesome instructional after several failed attempts in the terminal and with ubuntu's preloaded package installer. it will take some coding, but its pretty simple to follow these instructions below.

if anyone reading this post has similar issues, the easiest way to convert a mac mini to kxstudio is to:

go here:
https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

get the iso.
There are a few more steps to add it to a flash drive, i had some struggles...

reboot with live usb stick, install

once installed.

literally go directly here:
viewtopic.php?t=9666

follow all instructions posted by i2productions exactly. good to go!
Thanks i2!
mark swanson
Established Member

Re: Mac mini core 2 duo + kxstudio

Post by mark swanson »

This is great for me to see. I have one of these Macs and I want to put Ubuntu Studio on it, do you think KXstudio is much better? I am quite new to linux and just doing my research. My Mac has pro Tools on it, and I don't use that anymore, having moved to Tracktion Waveform.