Midi2usb interfaces

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

varpa
Established Member

Re: Midi2usb interfaces

Post by varpa »

Don't know about those cables specifically but they will certainly work on linux. Cables are passive devices and do not depend on OS. In general, nearly all midi devices are compatible with linux. However, configuration programs for some devices likely would not work (but not all devices have/need a configuration program).
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Post by kbongosmusic »

The inexpensive USB to MIDI adapters I got from ebay(cheap, <10$) work good, no driver required, so there is a standard MIDI USB interface and standard driver. Mine have about a 3 foot USB cable going to a plastic box with activity LED's on it and then split off into 2 midi cables(5-pin DIN connectors on the end), one for sending, one for receive. The old fashion MIDI cables worked at 31.25kbps rate, a typical USB for this is full-speed 12mbs. So it translates in the box. A lot of newer keyboards dispense with the older DIN 31.25kbps and just offer a USB connection. Sometimes these are standard USB MIDI, but some require drivers as they may be non-standard.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

That interface will probably work. I do wonder how it behaves with bigger sysex payloads, the cheaper cables tend to not work properly in that case. I've got this one for example: http://www.dx.com/p/usb-2-0-to-midi-con ... gth-110980
And that one doesn't allow me to make configuration dumps of my Behringer BCR2000 via MIDI for example. Other than that it works just fine.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

42low wrote: What is sysex payloads? Many midi signals?
Ow man, i'm new with this. I will probably use it for simple sampling. And the keyboard isn't more than a good one too so at first it will not be complicated at all here.
SysEX = System Exclusive
MIDI devices can send large amount of data (for example patches, even sample data) over midi via a special midi command
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Post by kbongosmusic »

@AutoStatic that looks like the ones I have. I mainly use it to route my keyboard(s) to the computer, say to Yoshimi synth. Works for what I use it for. @42low I have a casio privia weighted 88 keyboard that I use it with. I like that because for an 88key it's pretty light, unlike some of the big heavy monsters I've encountered. My M-Audio Radium is direct USB to USB, it does require a driver as it needs to download firmware first and then I believe it re-enumerates as a standard USB MIDI device(not positive on that). The Radium has a bunch of sliders and knobs, and the pitch wheel. I have some of the knobs arranged to vary Yosh's effects. I suppose the USB to MIDI cable has a little microprocessor in the USB cable to do the translation and it maybe drops bytes with a heavy sys-ex load, bummer ;)