Behringer fca202 works with snd-dice

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aicram
Established Member

Behringer fca202 works with snd-dice

Post by aicram »

Dear All,

This is a continuation of my loss of firewire saga from this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16919#p79966. I tried everything I could to get ffado working again with my fca202. I tried earlier kernels, later ones, tried linuxmint 17.1 on my other harddrive and nothing worked. I had a strong feeling nothing was wrong with my fca202. Last night I finally came back to my linuxmint 17.3 with the 4.2.0-41-lowlatency kernel and decided to blacklist the old stack and enable the new, or snd-dice, etc. After a reboot I went to alsamixer to see if I could find the fca202. Low and behold there it was. I switched to my firewire card and raised all sound levels. After that went to Audacity found my card, loaded up a song. It played beautifully. The sound was great plus nice and cool cpu temps again. I also, configured it to work with audacious. I was thrilled and happy to work with the new stack for firewire.

Does anyone here have any ideas of how to get this to work with jack again? I read something about getting the jack alsa backend working, and would love to know how.

It appears that if one has the later kernels possibly your firewire devices will work well with snd-dice. Of course, if ffado still works well with it, I would stick with that. Would love this new way with snd-dice to be implemented in cadence, if possible. I could not get it configured there so far. Really love cadence.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

aicram
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Behringer fca202 works with snd-dice

Post by Pablo »

Does anyone here have any ideas of how to get this to work with jack again? I read something about getting the jack alsa backend working, and would love to know how.
Did you try selecting "alsa" instead of "firewire" as the driver in qjackctl or Cadence?
aicram
Established Member

Re: Behringer fca202 works with snd-dice

Post by aicram »

Thank you very much for your response. I did choose alsa and the fca202 which showed up in cadence. Unfortunately jack would not start with cadence. This morning I installed qjackctl and configured with alsa and my fca202. To my surprise I have audacious and clementine working with it. I have not tried zynaddsubfx or other daws yet. I hope to get sound in browsers, too. If cadence can do all of this, I will switch. Later today when I have time I will check into the daws and browser sound.

The good news is that this is partially solved and I am very happy about it. The sound quality and performance is as great with snd-dice as it was with ffado, so far. I was resisting the new way with snd-dice, but now that is the only way for me to get this fca202 working. Maybe there is still hope for our firewire devices. In my experience the firewire hookup is better than the usb. Perhaps the new usb devices are very good, I do not know.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Marcia