Buying a guitar - how to record it?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

beck
Establlshed Member

Re: Buying a guitar - how to record it?

Postby beck » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:44 pm

sysrqer wrote:How about firewire vs usb? I would guess that firewire is a lot faster but does it generally work ok in linux?

Most modern interfaces have firewire. Works good as far as i know.

CrocoDuck
Establlshed Member

Postby CrocoDuck » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 pm

sysrqer wrote:How about firewire vs usb? I would guess that firewire is a lot faster but does it generally work ok in linux?

Pick the following with a grain of salt as I looked into it quite a lot of time ago. FireWire should actually be slower than USB, but it has the advantage of having symmetric read/write speed and, most importantly, it is usually on a bus of its own. USB hubs on your laptop might be in use by other devices (wifi, webcam...) and each one can require interrupts, which might build up to buffer overruns (xruns).

The usual rule of thumb is that Texas Instruments firewire chipsets work best under Linux. You can check the chipset of your port using lspci. I briefly covered this on my blog (FFADO section). Few references in there might be useful for you.

It has been a while since a new firewire device has been released. Perhaps, because it has been a while since consumer computers with firewire have been released. With the advent of USB3 I imagine firewire to pretty much disappear from the audio devices scenes.

I own a Behringher FCA202 and I really like it. Works out of the box.
Check my Linux audio experiments on my SoundCloud.
Fancying a swim in the pond?

CrocoDuck
Establlshed Member

Postby CrocoDuck » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm

A thing that came up in my mind. If you plan to plug into your onboard soundcard through a DI box beware that the quality might still not be best depending on your onboard audio preamplifiers. My old laptop builtin audiocard had a very awful frequency response, cutting down a lot of stuff above 7 kHz. It was designed with speech in mind (and to be as cheap as possible).
Check my Linux audio experiments on my SoundCloud.
Fancying a swim in the pond?

glowrak guy
Establlshed Member

Postby glowrak guy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:48 pm

So true. If the weakest link in your audio chain is the audio i/o itself,
buying external gear that is significantly better, won't be a benefit
until you ugrade the i/o later. The $$$ is a hard taskmaster, so investing
time learning compatibilties, prices, and qualities helps a lot. You don't always have to follow
a certain order of purchases, as long as you understand that getting a bargain
on one item may have future, rather than an immediate benefit to sound quality.

If music is your business, some hardware that seems too expensive now,
might be worth the interest on a few monthly payments. Items that will be
used every day may also fall in that category, for a hobbyist,
if one is willing to sacrifice the Starbucks and fast-food venues to cover the
charges.

Fortunately, there are always new free or inexpensive products
that can add new dimensions to creative potential.
The are usually enough unread pdf files on our hard-drives,
that an unused feature or technology is just a learning curve
away from being reality. This might be a useful reference for this topic:

http://www.deltamedia.com/resource/impedance.html

Cheers

beck
Establlshed Member

Postby beck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:16 am

+1 glowrak guy.
Especialy laptop soundcards are known often to regular be of lesser quality.

More expensive ain't always a guaranty for more quality. :wink: (but that IS a common thought though)
So cheaper solutions aren't always bad or worst. In many times even better.

beck
Establlshed Member

Postby beck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:45 pm

kbongosmusic wrote:Just tried wiring an electric guitar straight to a laptop. I though it would work ok, but it didn't, not enough volume.

Made me think... (yeah it was painfull starting with that).
Where did you put it in if i may ask? Wrong in audio-in? Or in the mic-in? (where it should for use of guitarix)

Guitarix should be plug (in mic-in) and play. The simplest way to record electric guitar, with good results.
Listen to examples on this page..
http://guitarix.org

Got my studio upstairs. But sometimes fool arround with music on the pc downstairs. By this topic now i'm asking myselve why i still don't have guitarix on this downstairs pc while it's so simple and i have a connection cable available. :oops: Will be done soon. :mrgreen:

lykwydchykyn
Establlshed Member

Postby lykwydchykyn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:47 pm

I'll just throw in my 2 cents...

I've tried a lot of ways of doing electric guitars, I just keep going back to my old P.O.D. 2.0 that I've had since my touring days (16 years ago... jeez). It's not a great sound, but it takes a guitar signal and puts out line-level, does cabinet emulation and some rudimentary effects. I run that into my interface/mixer/soundcard.

I'm sure there are better devices 16 years later, and probably reasonably cheap, so I'm not saying you *NEED* this particular device; my point is that trying to get a clean signal into the computer and doing amp modelling with e.g. Guitarix has been frustrating to me. For some reason it never sounds like a guitar going into an amp, it sounds like a recording of a guitar going into an amp, if that makes sense.

It just works better for me to get the sound I want on an external device and bring that into the system at line level.

glowrak guy
Establlshed Member

Postby glowrak guy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:49 am

lykwydchykyn wrote:It just works better for me to get the sound I want on an external device and bring that into the system at line level.

I would think you could make some clean presets on the POD, with some varied EQ
to represent various string gauge and pickups, with the cab-sim off, if possible,
so you could hear guitarix, rakarrak etc. as their sounds are intended.
Old gear that works, is no less valuable than old musicians that work, So many
rockers in their 70's not yet relegated to rockers...
Have you ever placed a good stompbox between the guitar and POD?
That can be a fun way to bolster what hits the software at the other end.
Cheers

lykwydchykyn
Establlshed Member

Postby lykwydchykyn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:45 am

glowrak guy wrote:I would think you could make some clean presets on the POD, with some varied EQ
to represent various string gauge and pickups, with the cab-sim off, if possible,
so you could hear guitarix, rakarrak etc. as their sounds are intended.

I've tried it different ways, preamping the guitar with the POD, preamping with my Mackie, direct in; just something about the levels is never quite right (or it's too noisy -- the old POD is really noisy if you overdrive the output). I dunno, just me. I like playing with Guiatrix, but not so much in a mix.

Have you ever placed a good stompbox between the guitar and POD?

Yeah I have an octafuzz which is nice to throw in there, a crybaby, and a couple other random overdrives. I'm not terribly imaginative with guitar tones these days. I used to be all about tweaking timbres but nowadays I'm more interested in arrangements, mic placement, layering instruments, and those kinds of really old-school ideas.

Return to “Computer Related Hardware”