Focusrite Scarlett is not (Windows) USB Audio 2.0 Class compliant

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Musicmaker
Established Member

Focusrite Scarlett is not (Windows) USB Audio 2.0 Class compliant

Post by Musicmaker »

Microsoft released a USB Audio 2.0 Class compliant driver. I my perception the Focusrite was class compliant because it worked on Linux, my main reason to buy it). So,tried this driver, but did not work.

Now is the issue. The 18i20 is only USB class compliant with MAC. That seems to mean it meets Apple's requirement to work with Apple's USB 2.0 audio Class drivers. The Windows USB 2.0 Audio driver seems to have different requirements and the 18i20 hardware apparently does not meet those.

For example this statement on FR website: "Scarlett Solo, along with all Scarlett interfaces, are 'Class Compliant' devices, This means that they do not require a USB driver in order to work with Mac computers.

That is an acceptable statement because at that time there were no Microsoft class compliant USB 2.0 audio drivers. You would think that if the Mac drivers are class compliant, the hardware would be too and work with Windows or any other OS that provides class compliant drivers

Not so. Both drivers claim to be class complaint with the USB Audio 2.0 spec, but for these two companies that seems to mean different things to interact with the hardware. Focusrite confirmed this:

"Currently the Scarlett range of interfaces are only class compliant on Mac systems. If necessary we will investigate the class compliant Windows driver in the future, although we already develop drivers for Windows so this may not happen."

Even with class compliant specifications the standardization of Audio hardware seems still a very far away dream.
The industry did it for (USB) keyboards, (USB) mice and USB MIDI, but for audio it's still a long wait.

The same is happening on Bluetooth. One standard but hardware can not always run with all OSes (drivers)
Most USB BLE sticks don't work on Mac.

Perhaps I am uneducated one here and have been living in a hole for a while, but this could be useful for you, anyhow for your reference.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett is not (Windows) USB Audio 2.0 Class compliant

Post by sadko4u »

Why do you care about windows? They always laughed that linux user suck cocks while they're just working. Now we can laugh that windows users suck cocks while we're just working.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.