Setting Up Audio Devices in KXStudio - what am I doing wrong?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mattyboy
Established Member

Setting Up Audio Devices in KXStudio - what am I doing wrong?

Post by mattyboy »

I'm wondering if I've missed a major step in setting up audio devices that is obvious to everyone except me?

I have a fresh install of KXStudio (14.04.3) on a Dell Dual Core Pentium 4, 4GB RAM, plenty of 150GB free disk space. There's nothing else on the machine.

I have tried 3 separate devices and none seems to work. Behringer FCA202, MBox 2 and Tascam US122-L.

I'm most interested in getting the Firewire Behringer FCA202 going.

When I load the FFADO mixer it does seem to see that the FCA202 is connected. It shows the device name as FCA202(Dummy) and accurately lists the available sample rates available for the device.

However, when I load Cadence and go Configure > Driver > Firewire the FCA202 is not available as a device. The only option is hw:0.
I was wondering whether the system is renaming the FCA202 to hw:0, but there's no sign of hw:0 anywhere else/

I load Claudia - there is no sign of the FCA202 or a reference to hw0:

If I load the KDE mixer there's no sign in the device tabs. Just Intel Ch7 and Playback Streams. When I go Settings > Audio Setup I can only see references to Intel, Loopback, ALSA, OSS and Jack. When I test all devices, Jack is the only one that plays, but it outputs to the internal computer speaker.

Am I supposed to be installing something else, or patching something.

My hardware all works. I had the PC set up with Windows XP previously. Everything worked except the MBOX2, but that works fine on a MAC.

I'd be grateful for any pearls of wisdom you can share.

Thanks
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Setting Up Audio Devices in KXStudio - what am I doing wrong?

Post by Pablo »

I don't have a firewire device but they are driven by alsa these days, instead of ffado. So, in theory, you should see the Behringer under the alsa driver, not firewire driver.

That said, some people have reported problems with the alsa driver for firewire cards. A possible solution is unloading or blacklisting the alsa module called "snd-dice" and use the old ffado (firewire driver in Cadence). See for example Gmaq's answer in this thread:
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3768.0
This one, also:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15531
aicram
Established Member

Re: Setting Up Audio Devices in KXStudio - what am I doing wrong?

Post by aicram »

I have been using the fca202 for years. My setup is linuxmint 18 cinnamon with kxstudio repos.

I use cadence to set everything up. Have you run ffado-diag or ffado-test? I ran ffado-diag. May have had to run ffado-dbus-server, and or ffado-mixer, it has been awhile. After that I chose firewire under driver in cadence, hw:0 as device, yes to capture and playback ports, 0 for input and output channels, sample rate 48000, buffer size 1024, periods/Buffer 3 . I would then start jack, and alsa>loop>jack. After this it has worked fine. Of course one needs to install all of the firewire software first. It has always worked great for me.

Hope you can get it to work.

Sincerely,

aicram