Focusrite Scarlett Second Generation

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

geoffrey
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Second Generation

Post by geoffrey »

@Arnd @randyg @gramos
I added ALSA support for the 18i8 2nd Gen mixer as well as the 18i20!

The source, an RPM and a .deb package are available here:

https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... /v5.0.10s5

All the levels/mixing/routing, level and pad functionality is working for me. If you can test it and it works or doesn't work for you, please let me know. I am trying to get the driver incorporated into the kernel and the more testing that can be done before that happens the better!

Thanks!
Sesse

Post by Sesse »

Hi,

I just got my 18i20 gen 2. I tried with your .deb kernel, and as far as I can tell, the mixer works right out of the box—at least everything I've been able to test (basic playback, interaction with the knobs, checking button values). A lot of the values start off at zero, but I think that's just because the physical knobs are turned all the way down.

Any plans for mainlining this?
Sesse

Post by Sesse »

I have one little nit; one of the ALSA controls is called “Clock Source Clock Source”. That's probably redundant.
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Sesse wrote:Hi,

I just got my 18i20 gen 2. I tried with your .deb kernel, and as far as I can tell, the mixer works right out of the box—at least everything I've been able to test (basic playback, interaction with the knobs, checking button values). A lot of the values start off at zero, but I think that's just because the physical knobs are turned all the way down.
As far as I can tell, it's not possible to read the mixing and routing configuration from the hardware, so I pretend that the mixer values are all set to zero and the routing is set 1:1 between hardware inputs/output and PCM inputs/outputs. The hardware will keep the configuration you put on there, but you'll want to use "alsactl store" and "alsactl restore" if you want to be able to change the configuration later without setting it up from scratch again.
Sesse wrote:Any plans for mainlining this?
Working on it! https://mailman.alsa-project.org/piperm ... 48392.html

Thank you for your testing and feedback! It'll be very useful (increase chance of acceptance) when there's no more fixes from reviewers to be able to say that lots of people have tested with their hardware and confirmed that it works.
oana

Post by oana »

Hi everyone,

First of all, I need to tell you that I am far from being an audio expert - I am a software engineer currently working on the test automation of an audio product. In this scope, I need to capture the audio signal output from the device DAC output in order to validate the quality of the audio signal in an automated way. My main constraint is that I have to do everything on Ubuntu 16.04.
I first started with a Scarlett 18i8 2nd generation that worked out of the box with my Ubuntu station - I don't need anything special, just to be able to capture the audio signal using a simple arecord command - it worked just perfect.
My main issue occurred when I needed to extend the input channels to 16 and we chose an Octopre for this - the problem is that the audio signal from the Octopre doesn't get to the 18i8, so I can be able to use the same simple arecord command and get the signal from all the 16 input channels. The hardware connection is correct, as I checked the same setup on Windows with Focusrite Control and it worked flawlessly - audio signal over all the 16 channels. Over Linux I am able to get only the signal coming from the 18i8's inputs.
Also, for the future, we will need to extent the capabilities to 24 channels, so I was thinking to replace the 18i8 with an 18i20, as the second one has 2 ADAT inputs available. But I am not confident that this setup will work either.
Now, my questions:
1. @geoffrey is there any chance that the patch you implemented to work with my Ubuntu version?
Linux fsr-ub1664-198 4.4.0-157-generic #185-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 23 09:17:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2. is there another way to make the Focusrite setup (main ADC 18i8/i8i20 + octopre extenstion) to work, for my actual limited needs? or do you have another hardware devices suggestions for my needs, with a higher compatibility chance with my Ubuntu version?

Thanks in advance for your support. Any suggestion will be really welcome and appreciated.
tristan.tarrant
Established Member

Post by tristan.tarrant »

Sesse wrote:Any plans for mainlining this?
I see this was merged into the ALSA kernel tree https://github.com/tiwai/sound/commit/9 ... 3298309b3e and is now part of Linus's tree for Linux 5.4. I cannot wait !
newsound

Post by newsound »

randyg wrote: I am using the Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen with Ubuntu Studio and Ardour and it works great! I haven't really tested it much using ALSA, but have no problems with JACK audio.
hi I am using ubuntu studio 18.4 and focusrite 18i8 sound card. but i recorded in ard 5.0, but i couldn't output sound. Can you tell me how you use the sound card without any problems and settings? because there are settings on the sound card that control gains such as pads. Also, although I have made the necessary settings on qjack, I cannot output sound. is it possible to send your e-mail address?
bentheass
Established Member

Post by bentheass »

Hey, if anyone is still on this thread...

I'm running Ubuntu Studio 18.04 (I'm in the middle of a lot of projects and really don't upgrade just yet). Just got a 18i20 2nd gen and ALSA was only showing a few binary parameters, no faders or internal routing. I was running on kernel 4.xx so I installed 5.11 low latency but now ALSA is only showing a single parameter (both in the terminal mixer and Qasmixer or whatever comes bundled with Studio). Is there anything else I should install along with the newer kernel to get this soundcard to work? I only bought it to route the ADAT input channels to line outputs so I can use it alongside my gen 1.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamindaass
https://www.thechurchofotherworldlysounds.com/
Mixbus32Cv9 on Xubuntu 20.04.6 with kernel version 5.15.0-91-lowlatency with 2nd Gen Scarlett 18i20 on a custom built box (Intel i5-11400F, 32 gigs DDR4, etc)

bentheass
Established Member

Post by bentheass »

I finally got the unit recognized on my brother's windows box (I have a windows partition on my laptop but it kept saying "No Hardware Connected"). I was able to update the firmware and route things to my liking. I find it weird that ALSA still doesn't show any of the routing options, but I am going to hook it up to the first gen tonight and hope the routing works properly. If anyone thinks of anything in the meantime, please let me know. Thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamindaass
https://www.thechurchofotherworldlysounds.com/
Mixbus32Cv9 on Xubuntu 20.04.6 with kernel version 5.15.0-91-lowlatency with 2nd Gen Scarlett 18i20 on a custom built box (Intel i5-11400F, 32 gigs DDR4, etc)

mnemonic
Established Member

Post by mnemonic »

oana wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:05 pm My main issue occurred when I needed to extend the input channels to 16 and we chose an Octopre for this - the problem is that the audio signal from the Octopre doesn't get to the 18i8, so I can be able to use the same simple arecord command and get the signal from all the 16 input channels. The hardware connection is correct, as I checked the same setup on Windows with Focusrite Control and it worked flawlessly - audio signal over all the 16 channels. Over Linux I am able to get only the signal coming from the 18i8's inputs.
Also, for the future, we will need to extent the capabilities to 24 channels, so I was thinking to replace the 18i8 with an 18i20, as the second one has 2 ADAT inputs available. But I am not confident that this setup will work either.
I have the same issue with my 18i20 2nd Gen extended by 8 analoge inputs from SM Pro Audio Q-Adat via ADAT. Works on Windows, but not on Linux. Neither with distro kernel 5.11 nor with patched 5.9 vanilla linux kernel from sadko4u under manjaro.

Is there anyone out there got the ADAT I/O working? What am I doing wrong?

Any hint is appreachiated :)