M-Audio Oxygen 61 sends spurious controller values

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

witchspace
Established Member

M-Audio Oxygen 61 sends spurious controller values

Post by witchspace »

I have a M-Audio Oxygen 61, already a few years old, has always worked fine but lately it is developing some strange behavior.
Some of the controller values seem to be 'unstable'. It keeps sending spurious values for them even though the slider is not being moved. These are slightly perturbed values as if the slider is not locked in place properly - but nothing is visible, or can be felt from the outside.

Seems like some problem with the electronics, but I'm kind of wary of opening it up and possibly breaking things even more :D Does anyone happen to have experience with these issues?
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Re: M-Audio Oxygen 61 sends spurious controller values

Post by kbongosmusic »

I've got a few of these keyboards. They use just ol-fashion POT's inside. So they will be subject to wear n tear, oxidation, contamination. One of my sliders doesn't work at all, I just ignore that one for now. You might look into contact cleaner, POT cleaning methods.

Here's one that wants you to disassemble POTs(that would be a lot of work and a bit dicy):
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To- ... /?ALLSTEPS

The units come apart with a screw-driver, might offer you better access to spray a cleaner in the POT enclosure. The sliders and knobs on mine seem to work well enough. They don't seem to jitter back and forth between values much - only rarely do I see a value change without my hand adjusting it. You might look for a used unit to swap parts with if you cared enough to try and fix it yourself. Or smash and burn it on stage ;)
witchspace
Established Member

Re: M-Audio Oxygen 61 sends spurious controller values

Post by witchspace »

Thanks a lot, I'll give that a try. Awesome if it fixes it, and otherwise it's still a good learning experience :D
only rarely do I see a value change without my hand adjusting it
It's not consistent with mine either.
kbongosmusic wrote:You might look for a used unit to swap parts with if you cared enough to try and fix it yourself. Or smash and burn it on stage ;)
Yeah even better :evil: