Cheap AIO audio interface

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sonnet

Cheap AIO audio interface

Post by sonnet »

As per title I'm looking for a cheap audio interface.

I need phantom 48v for my mic and midi connection for my keyboard and record my guitar.
I'll just use it to play around with my kids and so I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution that would work with Linux.

I might have the chance to buy second hand a NI Komplete Audio 6, for about 150 euro.
http://www.native-instruments.com/de/pr ... e-audio-6/
But I can't see if it has phantom for my mic and if it's a good price.
Moreover I'd like to know if it works flawlessly under linux . NI claims it works although not officially supported.

Can anyone help me out pls?
GuntherT
Established Member

Re: Cheap AIO audio interface

Post by GuntherT »

If you are looking for a cheap interface with phantom power, MIDI ports and a guitar input that is known to work flawlessly on Linux, you could go with the Alesis iO2 Express. I have the M-Audio M-Track Plus (bought it off ebay), which is just a re-branded Alesis iO|2, which is just the iO2 Express in a metal case with S/PDIF connectors, which itself was re-branded as a M-Audio M-Track......so I can vouch for it personally. Any of these four devices will operate identically, but only the iO2 Express is still available to be purchased new. The others are easy to find on ebay.

I have no personal experience with the NI Komplete Audio 6, but it does have phantom power and is USB class compliant. People speak well of it on this forum, and it appears to be a better device than the iO2 Express. If you get a good deal on one, you'll probably be pleased. It's hard for me to say if 150 Euros is a good deal being in the U.S. market, but it doesn't sound bad. It doesn't sound like a steal, either. New, it currently retails for $229 USD, which includes Komplete Elements software for OSX and Windows ($49 USD if purchased on its own).