It works! It really works!

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lava
Established Member

It works! It really works!

Post by lava »

Just coming here to announce that, after years of trying, my pro audio setup in Ubuntu finally works! I'm using Ubuntu 14.04, stock kernel, Tracktion 6, and an Edirol UA-25 audio/midi interface. Everything is cooking at 3-4ms of latency, and Tracktion is responding to/transmitting midi from/to my hardware synths. Really didn't have to tweak anything except some Jack settings. Man, I cannot wait to ditch that Windows partition for good.

I tried doing this probably four or five times in the last decade, failing every time. I'm wondering specifically which critical parts of the OS were optimized to allow for better audio performance in the recent past?
eric71
Established Member

Re: It works! It really works!

Post by eric71 »

Tracktion 6 seems to be the final push I needed to move to native Linux music production after years of shuffling between windows or wine/wineasio related setups. It is just more intuitive as far as setup and getting recording - audio, midi, control surfaces all working with minimum fuss. I'm still struggling a little with the small number of linux vsts, but thanks to kxstudio, Carla and the recent availability of gvst stuff for linux, things are getting better. Master Mix from Tracktion is quite nice too.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: It works! It really works!

Post by glowrak guy »

http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html

There are a dozen high quality free linux vst synths, not including the new port
of zynaddsubfx, from falkTX.

There are also more than a dozen world-class commercial creations and ports,
from Loomer, discoDSP, U-he, and Pianoteq.

There are enough incredible stock sounds among these, to occupy a composer
for a lifetime, not to mention amazing commercial soundsets, randomizer scripts,
and the odd lucky dabbling at modifying existing sounds to taste, not to mention adding
great linux effects to the more bread&butter sounds.

Nice to hear T6 is working well. Might be time to pull out my old license, and upgrade.
Cheers