2 channels only output from Saffire Pro 24

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jwkb

2 channels only output from Saffire Pro 24

Post by jwkb »

I'm using a Saffire Pro 24 for MIDI input and audio output for running GrandOrgue on 64 bit Lubuntu 14.04 kernel 3.19.
MIDI is fine but I can only get stereo output, not the full 6 channels. Running
speaker-test -c 6 -t wav
only ever outputs channels 0 and 1 (Left and Right Front). These come from Saffire physical outputs 1, 2 and also from 3, 4. There is never any output from 5,6.
I cannot get channels 2,3,4,5 from speaker-test to ever come out of the Saffire.

This is 'as is' following installation of Lubuntu and the GrandOrgue software. I haven't changed any audio settings or installed anything else. Onboard audio is disabled in BIOS.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I need to do to get the full 6 channel output?

(I found a link on LinuxMusicians for getting the saffire pro 40 working:
http://www.audiorecording.me/focusrite- ... ide.html/2
however I haven't followed it as my understanding is that firewire is now handled through the kernel instead of using ffado)
jwkb

Re: 2 channels only output from Saffire Pro 24

Post by jwkb »

Problem solved - the companion Windows software Saffire Mix Control stores last used settings into the hardware so it can be used stand-alone. After resurrecting the old Windows drive I found the routing I had described exactly matched what was showing in Mix Control. All six channels now working correctly, but it would be nice to be able to control the hardware from Linux.
varpa
Established Member

Re: 2 channels only output from Saffire Pro 24

Post by varpa »

There is a ffado-mixer for the Saffire Pro 24 so you can configure it from linux. Try the command "ffado-mixer". There is documentation (in French) about the Saffire Pro 40 mixer which is similar to the Pro 24, just with more channels here:
http://www.linuxmao.org/ffado-mixer+saffire+pro+40