How to check if an interface could work in Linux

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

paul
Established Member

How to check if an interface could work in Linux

Post by paul »

Hello! I'm about to try a new mixer-interface (see this thread: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14033) and the shopkeeper lets me first try to see if it works with Linux, so that I don't buy something that I cannot use.
But how do I check? It shouldn't just work as soon as I plug it in, right?
Keep on rocking in the free world!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: How to check if an interface could work in Linux

Post by glowrak guy »

line-in/line-out are nearly universal, only two levels, consumer, and pro
'mackie compatible' may be helpful. Some devices have an optional
mackie mode. You may need reaper to access features
that are more win-centric.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Use the list, and also google cards with

linux card-name ubuntu
linux card-name fedora
linux card-name arch

card-name kx studio
card-name avlinux

for usb cards, 'mac compatible' is usually a good sign.

general non-mixer info, well displayed: http://libremusicproduction.com

etc
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I am certainly not the most knowledgeable person around here, but I see you're not getting a lot of replies, so I'll take a stab at it.

First, check whether the interface is labeled as "USB compliant" or USB 1.1. That raises the likelihood of success considerably.

If it's USB 2.0, beware.

In either case, if you can try it before you buy it (I suppose you're taking your notebook to the store), plug it in over USB, launch Cadence and Catia and see if it's detected. Also play any sound file and use Catia to redirect the output to any clearly audible plugin, such as reverb, and the plugin to the general output (loudspeakers/headphone). If it works, you're in business.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

If you are in for the Behringer UFX Series, they are reported to work out of the box using USB on linux.
In general, if the manufacturer does not provide a USB driver for the Apple Mac, the device is class compliant and therefoer will almost
cetainly run out of the box on linux.

As for testing:
- Plug in the (USB) Hardware
- Check, if the device is recognized using aplay -l
- open alsamixer to set input/output levels, if alsamixer shows such control for the device. Otherwise nothing to do.
- Open audacity, select the device for input and output and try recording and playback
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Drumfix wrote:- open alsamixer to set input/output levels, if alsamixer shows such control for the device. Otherwise nothing to do.
That does not apply to my Lexicon Omega USB interface. It has no software control whatsoever, unlike my on-board sound card. I have to control it with the actual hardware knobs.
paul
Established Member

Post by paul »

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

FYI, I am going for the Soundcraft for better sound, which is USB 2.0. The device has never been used on Linux as far as I have read online. But there is no mention whatsoever for drivers (for Windows and Mac) on the download page...so it is likely class compliant...right?
A Q&A session on Elektronauts says:
The only software is a USB ASIO panel and this is just on PC versions. Mac users can just use standard CoreAudio. On the USB ASIO driver for PC, it is the same driver as our MADI-USB card. The way you route your USB channels would be through your DAW of choice. We will include a free copy of Ableton Live Lite (and also a free Lexicon MPX-L VST/AU/AAX plugin)
The thing is, I do not know what to do when they let me try it in the shop.
There are a bunch of things that I could do wrong that wouldn't let me see the interface from the computer, even if the device itself is compatible.

If I plug it in, should aplay -l *immediately* recognize it? Should it be immediately visible in the list of devices in Cadence?
To try Jack on it, what should I do? What configuration do I give to Cadence? I know the number of inputs and outputs, but there are a bunch of other options (Duplex mode, aliases...), so I'm never sure.
Keep on rocking in the free world!
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

Why don't you buy it from one of the online retailers (Thomann, MusicStore, etc...) as they give you 30 days to test it at home and if it doesn't work or even if you simply don't like it, you can send it back for a full refund.