Affordable interface, 96khz sample rate, ALSA

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thesilenceindustry
Established Member

Affordable interface, 96khz sample rate, ALSA

Post by thesilenceindustry »

Hi there! I realize that there are already lots of threads started by people asking for advice on interfaces but I figured it was better to ask a specific question rather than jack(pun!) an old thread.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum is using a cheap-ish USB or PCI interface which ALSA will support at 96khz and/or higher sample rates.

My existing soundcard works with ALSA, but not to its' full potential... ie. in alsamixer I can only select 44.1, 48, SPDIF or ADAT, when the device itself is good for up to 192 A/D. I prefer to record and mix in 96.

Thanks in advance.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Affordable interface, 96khz sample rate, ALSA

Post by glowrak guy »

maudio 24/96 pci, I just checked, and set 96K in qjackctl, and in it's envy24control mixer,
and recorded, sounds nice. You might find a good used one cheap with a wtb ad at some
of the win/mac musician forums, as some moved on to cards with
similar quality, but far more i/o ports.
Cheers

tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

scarlett 2i2 and 1818vsl can work in 96k through jack but i'm less familiar with using them with alsa directly

thesilenceindustry
Established Member

Thank you for the replies! Yes the M-Audio 24/96 pci cards are pretty easy to come by, so I might look at that option.

Forgive my ignorance but I was under the impression that jack works on top of ALSA so I figured that if ALSA could only set the card clock to 48000 that it wouldn't be possible to get it to work at 96 in jack. Is this incorrect? If so I may just try doing a complete install with my existing setup on a new drive and see if I can't get it to work.

All I've really tried so far was seeing if my card (An E-MU 1212m) would work on a live-usb.

thesilenceindustry
Established Member

Also after a bit of research I now realize that there are in fact E-MU kernel modules. I haven't done much playing around with kernel modules before but I'm guessing it's probably something I'll need to become comfortable with if I'm interested in putting together an optimal Linux music system.

tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

thesilenceindustry wrote: Forgive my ignorance but I was under the impression that jack works on top of ALSA
this is correct but i'm not quite sure exactly how it works either. I remember that I couldn't select 96kHz using alsamixer though I could set it for jack, that mightve been my misunderstanding though.

RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

thesilenceindustry wrote:I figured that if ALSA could only set the card clock to 48000 that it wouldn't be possible to get it to work at 96 in jack.
Yes, that's correct.
thesilenceindustry wrote:All I've really tried so far was seeing if my card (An E-MU 1212m) would work on a live-usb.

Also after a bit of research I now realize that there are in fact E-MU kernel modules. I haven't done much playing around with kernel modules before but I'm guessing it's probably something I'll need to become comfortable with if I'm interested in putting together an optimal Linux music system.
Don't waste your time! The emu drivers for Linux were written nearly 10 years ago and to this day remain half-finished. It's the drivers that are stopping you from setting the clock rate any higher than 48kHz.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... le-emu10k1

I bought an E-mu 1616m a few months ago and found it only half worked on Linux: MIDI did not work, and there was no way to enable the analogue soft limiters or the hardware-accelerated effects. Also, playback was limited to 16-bit, though recording at 24-bit seemed possible.

If you really want to use an E-mu card on Linux then you may find the links below helpful, though I'd strongly advise looking for another make of audio interface.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/264919/h ... ith-ubuntu

https://code.google.com/p/emutrix/

thesilenceindustry
Established Member

Copy that RockHopper and thank you for the info. Yeah, I'd prefer not to actualy *waste* time on something that won't likely work. I'm not married to the E-MU but I was pretty happy with it in Windows (XP, never been online with it and that's why the machine still runs).

My happiness with the 1212m was a good bit of what was holding me back from switching to a linux audio system for the past 2 years. I've been thinking of replacing it for quite some time because I've known that support for it was going to become problematic on any newer platform eventually. The problem, of course, is that whenever I have checked out the market for interfaces there hasn't been anything I thought was comparable for less than 600 bucks or so... and it's not like I'm exactly flush with cash.

I will be looking at the Focusrite USB interface mentioned in this thread, actually it's one that I've had my eye on for a while but I started looking at others when I saw that the ALSA supported devices page lists it as working at 48khz and not 96.

I would really love something with the eventual option of 192 but that may have to remain on the wish list for a while if that doesn't seem realistic.

Anybody have any experience with the 2 in/out steinberg usb?