Tascam US-1200?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Havoc
Established Member

Tascam US-1200?

Post by Havoc »

Anybody already tried this one?

I got one for a W7 setup (because it was very cheap) but as it is a class compliant interface it should also work on Linux. But I'm not having much success. It is the first time I try USB-audio with linux as well, so I might be doing stupid things (very likely).

- running Gentoo 3.17.8 with alsa and jack
- there is a RME 9652 in the pc that works fine
- I see the Tascam listed in lsusb as "Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0644:8046 TEAC Corp. "
- cat /proc/asound/cards however only shows the RME:

"daw ~ # cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [R15 ]: RME9652 - RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5)
RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xd1000000, irq 26"

Do I have to configure this manually in asound.rc?
Havoc
Established Member

Re: Tascam US-1200?

Post by Havoc »

Ok, PEBKAC. Should have checked first: the pc only has USB 1.1 and the US-1200 will do only USB 2.0. I'll try the laptop when I have some time.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

Are you sure the Tascam US-1200 is class compliant?

http://tascam.com/product/us-1200/downloads/

There is a driver for Mac OS listed on the manufacturer's download page, which typically means it is not class compliant. Class compliant devices should not require a special driver for Mac OS. Tascam's replacement model, the US-16x08, is a class compliant device, but I think you may be mistaken about the specifications on this particular unit. You may have a hard time getting the US-1200 to function on Linux, unfortunately. If you are successful, please let us know what you did.
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

GuntherT wrote:Are you sure the Tascam US-1200 is class compliant?

http://tascam.com/product/us-1200/downloads/

There is a driver for Mac OS listed on the manufacturer's download page, which typically means it is not class compliant. Class compliant devices should not require a special driver for Mac OS. Tascam's replacement model, the US-16x08, is a class compliant device, but I think you may be mistaken about the specifications on this particular unit. You may have a hard time getting the US-1200 to function on Linux, unfortunately. If you are successful, please let us know what you did.
Well... I tought I read that. But apparently it isn't. I added a usb 2.0 pci card to the pc and now it shows up in lsusb. But so far I haven't got it to speak.

No big deal because it was intended for a W7 pc but a bit as it looks a nice piece of gear for what it costs.