Midi keyboards

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Midi keyboards

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

This is my first post. I think I'll post my quick 'n' dirty how-to on Midi keyboards and synthesizers later on.

Currently I own two second hand flimsy Midi keyboards: the M-Audio Oxygen 8 ver. 2 (see picture below, not sold anymore) and the Alesis Q25 (link). The Alesis won't even show up when I run from the command line:

Code: Select all

lsusb

I'd like to ask you if my Alesis Q25 is definitely broken or if the USB midi port needs to be activated instead of the 5-pin classic midi port... I think not, all the documentation I've read says that it should work out of the box (or after a "reset"). Strange thing is that the lights do go on and off etc. But no PC connection. I tried to get the copper pins from the USB connector, on the back of the keyboard, a bit more "up" so they'll connect better to the USB cable(s), but to no avail.

The M-Audio does work, however, its USB plug is broken. It only works if I fiddle w/ a paperclip, a USB cable and some tape to hold the USB cable in place. No need to say that said M-Audio is unreliable. Paying somebody to solder a new USB socket on it will probably cost more than a new one, if I can even find somebody who can do that.

What I like very much about the M-Audio (see picture below) are all the knobs that can be assigned to the knobs of those wonderful analogue synthesizers of yesteryear (the only one I'm beginning to understand is the MiniMoog: what a lot of spacey sounds from such simple electro-technics!). But since my M-Audio is flimsy/broken I'm afraid I'll have to look for a new one. I don't want to buy second hand anymore because I think that the risk of getting a broken one is too great.

After using the midi keyboard for a while I've come to the conclusion that a keyboard without a mod and pitch wheel is no option for me. Those controls are too important as far as I'm concerned. So that leaves out the affordable and popular Korg Nanokey, Korg Microkey (pitch ad mod in one joystick, not separate) or the Akai LPK25. I want a keyboard w/ 25 keys (not more) and a pitch and mod wheel. And it must work in Linux of course! I cannot play music (yet): I'm a beginner so it must be very cheap. What would you recommend? I live in The Netherlands (Holland) so I think that I'll have to order at Bax-shop.nl or Conrad.nl.

How are your experiences w/ midi keyboards? Do the USB sockets break all the time?

Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ssj71
Established Member

Re: Midi keyboards

Post by ssj71 »

A usb controller is nearing the top of my wishlist. I'd like to hear others experiences with them too. I kinda want one with aftertouch which narrows it down to the newer alesis VL series or a samson Graphite (or spring for a more expensive akai or similar).

Anyhow, for now I have a good digital piano and I use a cheap USB midi converter like this. Be careful with those because some of them simply don't work (the 2nd I bought works like a champ though, for 3 years now). If you know your midi ports work this could be a limp along solution.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

ssj71 wrote:Anyhow, for now I have a good digital piano and I use a cheap USB midi converter like this. Be careful with those because some of them simply don't work (the 2nd I bought works like a champ though, for 3 years now). If you know your midi ports work this could be a limp along solution.
Thanks for the tip! I could of course always use the "old fashioned" 5-pin output. I would need a 0.5 Amp 9 Volt adapter for that too for the Alesis, if it'll even work then. Or a 12 V, 0.3 Amp one for the M-Audio. Seems to be very affordable on DealExtreme.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

Alesis, M-Audio (and also Akai) aren't what they used to be when they still were independent companies. These days they are all just brand names that belong to Numark and IMHO their quality is very mediocre.

I currently have a Roland/Edirol PC-50 which has a very nice solid feeling synth action keybed (but it's 10 years old and no longer made), but if was to replace it right now I would go for a Roland A500 PRO which again has a very nice keybed in addition to the usual sliders, knobs and pads that most modern controller keyboards have.
The pads (sadly not the keys) even have polyphonic aftertouch on the Roland A PRO Series!
IMHO Roland quality is a level above of cheap consumer brands such as Alesis or M-Audio.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

@Tux99: Thank you for the advice. So for a proper keyboard, that's worth the money, I'd better stick to good ol' trusted brands like Roland. I take it that 'ye old Korg is also a good brand to buy (except maybe for the Nanokey and the Microkey).
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:@Tux99: Thank you for the advice. So for a proper keyboard, that's worth the money, I'd better stick to good ol' trusted brands like Roland.
In my experience, yes. But ideally you should go to some large music store and try them out yourself as everybody has different opinions of what makes a good keyboard.
I take it that 'ye old Korg is also a good brand to buy (except maybe for the Nanokey and the Microkey).
Sadly not, Korg's build quality (and the quality of their keybeds) these days is nowhere near as good as Roland or Yamaha.
Since Yamaha to my knowledge currently doesn't do any controller keyboards, Roland is the only choice left.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

You could try this:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMX250.aspx

or this:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMA25S.aspx

I use the 49-key version (they all come with a fine audio card too!) and I've never had problems.

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

@Tux99: Never would have guessed that 'ye 'ol Korg is not what it used to be. I grew up in the 80's and in my recollection all professional bands played a Korg.

@Briandc: Thank you for the Behringer tips! I must confess that I've never heard of this brand. See above remark of mine. Because I'm not a musician (despite my nick ;)) I'm relying on my memory from what I've seen being used by the professionals. And since the heydays of the synth and video's was in the 80's I've never "seen" a Behringer. The 25 key items you posted look suspiciously similar to the M-audio one I've got. I beginning to suspect that M-Audio stole the idea and design from Behringer. The Behringers are quite affordable too, and because of their small 25 key design they are perfect for the occasional beginner/home-hobbyist like me. Both cost approx. 100 Euro (the M-Audo and Alesis approx. € 70).

At first I couldn't get my finger on what the difference is between the UMA25s and the UMX250. There appear to be small subtle differences:

The 25s has a lot of in and out ports on the back (line IN and OUT etc.), it's slim (height: 4,6 cm) and is more marketed towards the stage performer as it includes a carrying bag and an optional strap to use it as a key-tar (eeuw!). It can be battery operated (so you don't need a powered USB hub).

The 250, I think, is more marketed at the hobby/home user. It also can run on batteries and it's a bit "thicker" (height 9.7 cm, I guess that's more suitable for placing it on your desk next to a computer). The 250 also appears to have "over 100 virtual instruments included", probably for playing synths or piano out of the box. However, at a quick glance, the manual doesn't seem to mention this and the 250 does not have a Line output or a built-in speaker for this. Maybe it's marketing-speak for some included (Windows) software... [edit] Via Google I found a brochure which might clear up the "built in instruments" question. The UMX line seems to come w/ an external USB sound card (probably the one BrianDC mentions) which might be able to connect the 250 to some speakers. It's called the UCA222. However, since the sound card sports a USB-A plug and the 250 keyboard comes with a USB-B socket it is still a mystery to me how to connect the two. It's all marketing-speak to me and I don't understand a single word of it..

I take it both work fine w/ Linux? The Behringer UMA-25s seems like a nice addition to a laptop, Bristol and some speakers!
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Yes, the UCA222 is the sound card. That is connected to your pc by standard usb. The controller, however, has a usb cable that has a and b ends. You won't connect the keyboard to the card though. The keyboard goes into the computer; and the card leaves the computer and goes into the stereo (this card has only RCA plugs so it's best if your speakers/stereo has that type of audio in plugs, too).

Boy I wish my 490 had the guitar strap knobs on the sides.. :) --I guess it's just the smaller model that has it.

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com