Keith McMillen Softstep 2

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JohannesTress
Established Member

Keith McMillen Softstep 2

Post by JohannesTress »

Hi all together, recently I bought this foot controller. Is there anybody else, who uses this one under linux? I recognized, that the editors are running under wine, but the software can't connect to the floorboard. So I'm quite dissapointed, because I thought I'd have control over the device. It doesn't make any sence without having access to the cc parameters for me.
I found the project of matthieu amiguet https://github.com/amiguet/foococo but it deals with the first version of the floorboard.

Any ideas on this. I'm kind of frustrated seeing every product I purchase running only limited on linux. I know that the producers and developers of proprietary software are the ones to blame. It's a shame, that they don't even think of linux compatibility...

Thanks indeed!
cowboystitching
Established Member

Re: Keith McMillen Softstep 2

Post by cowboystitching »

Never saw the foococo project before, really intriguing, though I don't really think it's gonna be all that usable in the alpha stage it's in now. I have the first version of this device. Strangely enough the old editor actually kind of worked under WINE (I'm as puzzled as anybody else as to how that would even work, isn't WINE unable to recognize USB?!), but the new one doesn't recognize my device at all. I don't think that the firmware of the two versions is really any different, all that seems to be different is the style of buttons they employed for the second version. So you could most likely use the foococo editor with it. (I think anyway)

A pretty easy workaround is to hook it up to a Windows machine (I know, ugh....) and simply edit the pedal to whatever settings you're gonna want to keep, save the state on the device, and then hook it back up to your Linux machine and go to town. It's class compliant so you shouldn't have any trouble with actually using the dang thing once it's set up.

That being said I can totally understand your frustration with companies making certain features of their supposedly "class compliant" devices inaccessible save for using a proprietary editor on Windows or OSX; especially when they market it so heavily as being usable under Android, iOS, and Linux. We're kind of a niche market for sure, but iOS especially has a pretty big user base and I'm sure they're just as equally frustrated at not being able to do certain things they weren't told would only be available on the desktop. Hopefully with bigger commercial projects like Bitwig we might get thrown a bone or two in that regard, but only time will tell...
JohannesTress
Established Member

Post by JohannesTress »

Hey, thanks for your advices. I solved the problem using Win 7 via Virtual Box. I can now edit the pedal via VB.
Happy new year!
cowboystitching
Established Member

Post by cowboystitching »

Awesome! Glad to be of help!