Audio interface upgrade: firewire or USB?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

canhoto
Established Member

Audio interface upgrade: firewire or USB?

Post by canhoto »

Hi.

I'm currently using a Saffire LE FW interface with elementary OS Luna on a Macbook (late 2006). Everything is ok (especially if I use the lowlatency kernel).
But I need to upgrade to an interface that has, at least, 4 XLR in's (the Saffire LE only has 2).

But I'm divided. Should I buy:

- Another FW interface? There are a few that seem to work quite well with FFADO. But FW has two problems: it narrows my choices if I want to buy a new laptop (I have to stick with Apple's or find a very rare laptop with FW); and it's more delicate when pluging in (you have always to plug it in with the computer shut down, and still be careful).

- A USB interface? It will be easier if I buy a new computer (or even a tablet). It's easier to connect. But there seems to be less choice and reliability than with FW interfaces.

What's your opinion?

Thank you
Professional classical saxophone player from Portugal. Using Linux (mostly Kubuntu) since late 2011. Linux has replaced the "holy" Mac OS in my life.
jtode
Established Member

Re: Audio interface upgrade: firewire or USB?

Post by jtode »

You could also invest in a couple of nice XLR Preamps, if you've got two more non-XLR inputs. That would give you the two extra inputs, and upgrade your sound, vs. putting that money into a replacement piece of hardware that won't sound appreciably better. Just a thought.

I'm interested to know what, if anything, you decided to do, though - I'm about to start shopping for a new interface, along the same lines as what you were looking for when you posted this. :>
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

I don't think anyone should buy firewire anymore, there are plenty of viable usb options. a number of focusrite and presonus products seem to be supported decently well.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_matrix
ahellquist
Established Member

Post by ahellquist »

tatch wrote:I don't think anyone should buy firewire anymore, there are plenty of viable usb options. a number of focusrite and presonus products seem to be supported decently well.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_matrix
Even the latest pro laptops have a expresscard slots where you can insert a good TI based firewire card. Also most modern hardware have Thunderbolt ports that can be used with a Thunderbolt to Firewire dongle. This is supported by some audio interface providers and this is at least a solution that still works.

Unfortunately, the usb based solutions are not technically as good as firewire IMHO. It is more difficult to get low latency with usb gear and there is no way to allocate necessary bus bandwidth on the usb bus. It may work or it may not.
The firewire bus will give the audio device all needed bandwidth and not dynamically change that for worse.

IMO firewire is still the most stable way to use external audio devices and the bus also keeps the devices in sync.
In linux, you can connect several firewire devices on the same bus and aggregate up to 56in/56out seamlessly. That can be a mix of devices from different vendors too.

If you are doing 4in and 4out usb is probably good enough and a cheaper way.

/anders