Microphone-to-USB adapter?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

apathity
Established Member

Microphone-to-USB adapter?

Post by apathity »

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a microphone to USB adapter. Should work on Linux of course.
varpa
Established Member

Re: Microphone-to-USB adapter?

Post by varpa »

You need a USB audio interface. I suggest looking at http://www.libremusicproduction.com/art ... g-hardware for background info and suggestions of USB hardware that works on linux.
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

I do have a Behringer Guitar Link USB interface but it doesn't have an input for a microphone, only one input for guitar. I am still using this interface because it can be easily used for playing guitar standing up because it's quite portable. So I was thinking about keeping that interface and using a microphone via USB alongside.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Well you need an audio interface with a microphone input (XLR? - you do say what you need). It is possible, but not desirable to have 2 audio interfaces because then Jack can only use one and the second one can only be accessed in Jack with something like the zita-a2j program which resamples audio from the 2nd input. This is not a Jack limitation but due to the fact that the internal sampling frequency of audio interfaces differ slightly between devices even at the same nominal frequency (e.g. 44.1 kHz) so that the 2nd device must be re-sampled at the rate used by the first device to keep the audio in sync. Therefore, it is strongly preferred to use a single audio interface unless the interface has a method of sync to another.
Therefore, I suggest you get an audio interface with at least 2 channels of input, one of which should be an XLR input for your mike.
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Thanks a lot, will do that.
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Apparently something like what I said exists: http://www.bluemic.com/icicle/