RME digi96/8 and JACK: only 2 io channels

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Havoc
Established Member

RME digi96/8 and JACK: only 2 io channels

Post by Havoc »

I'm playing a bit with a mini ITX board that I have around and I put my RME digi96/8 card on it. Using Gentoo and Jack with Qjackctl. Compiled support for the RME digi96/8 directly into the kernel and nothing for the onboard Intel sound. Same setup as I use on the desktop but there it is a digi9652.

I do see the digi96/8 in Qjackctl and can start it but I only get 2 capture and 2 output channels. It looks as if there is no Adat interface recognised. If I go into the qjackctl setup then I can choose alsa hw:Digi968 RME Digi96/8 (hw:0) or hw:Digi968,0 Digi96 IEC958 (hw0:0) or hw:Digi968,1 Digi96 ADAT (hw0,1) or default. I tried all of them but I only get 2 io channels. Even if I only select the ADAT. Now I do not have anything connected to the adat so it sees no clock. If I do change the number of channels to 10 (8 adat, 2 spdif) in the setup panel I get an error that it is not possible to create that much channels.

I do get an awfull lot of xruns. Now this is some lowly Pentium M 1.73 so I don't expect much of it (*). But at least the correct io channels should be displayed, until then I'm not sure if what I see is because the cpu cannot keep up or the config is way out of line.

With the desktop if I do this I get 26 io channels with the digi9652 (3x adat + spdif) also with the adat's without connection.

Versions are:
jack 0.121.3
alsa related stuff is 1.0.27-1
kernel 3.10.17