Help with a inexpensive usb bass interface

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rms13
Established Member

Help with a inexpensive usb bass interface

Post by rms13 »

Greetings all. I'm just getting back into playing bass after years away. I am mostly looking for the cheapest solution for silent practice in my apartment. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and looking for an interface that will hopefully work out of the box and allow me to play through some amp modeling software.

Since I am just getting back into it and playing as a hobby I don't want to spend much money right now. I was looking at the Behringer Guitar link:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

Anyone have experience with this unit on Linux or other suggestions? Would like to stay around $50 US or less but would go to $100 if there was something that was really worth it.
rms13
Established Member

Re: Help with a inexpensive usb bass interface

Post by rms13 »

I take it nobody has experience with the Behringer. From my research it seems most of their equipment works with most Linux but I would rather go with something more proven.

I actually installed Fedora 20 on my laptop because the Ubuntu was giving me a few problems. So now I am running Fedora and will probably run Ardour and Jack etc.

Seems like in the cheaper price range that people have sucess with Alesis products so I will probably go with i02 express
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 USB Interface --- seems to work for most folks at kernel 2.6.34+

I'm not sure if that was the one you were looking at using. USB 1.1 so probably 48kHz and 16bit for best sampling rates.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I own one of this: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx , and yes, 16bit and 48kHz are the best parameters. Is a very nice interface in my opinion: it is cheap, light, small and it works out of the box. However, for using it, I can't plug directly the bass or the guitar. I have a mixer plugged into the inputs and a DI box into the mixer. The monitors are plugged, of course, in the outputs. If you own a mixer and a DI box this interface is a good choice.
rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

Thanks for the responses. I ordered the UCG102 and I am waiting for it to arrive. I got it from musiciansfriend so it will be easy enough to exchange for something else if it doesn't work. I'll post my experiences once I get it
rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

Just updating my experience. Actually ended up ordering the Behringer but it was back ordered for several weeks. Canceled it and bought a generic "Guitar Link" from Ebay for $10. Works great right out of the box with no set up or hassle. Looks exactly the same as the Behringer with no Behringer name on it. I assume it's made in the same factory in China and is the exact same hardware for $30 less. I highly recommend it if you need a cheap interface.