MIDI Keyboard (with weighted keys)

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Smeefer
Established Member

MIDI Keyboard (with weighted keys)

Post by Smeefer »

I'm using AV Linux 6.0.1 (soon to be 6.0.2) and I'm trying to upgrade from a midi keyboard with "semi-weighted" keys to a keyboard with weighted keys, preferably with 49 keys.

Does anyone know of a MIDI keyboard that functions on Linux with weighted keys? I'm having a hard time finding a MIDI keyboard with weighted keys in general....so far, I've only found the Alesis Q88.
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer <--listen to Smeefer's music!
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer-collabs <--listen to Smeefer's music with vocalists.
www.camversion.org/smeefers-blog <--read Smeefer's blah blah blog!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: MIDI Keyboard (with weighted keys)

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I assume you mean "hammer action" (ie, acoustic piano feel)? Because this action is typically used to play two-handed piano parts (which practically require at least 61 keys), there isn't a market for hammer actions less than 61 keys. Fatar used to make the VMK 149, but it's discontinued. I've personally played many keyboards, and my fav tend to be Roland's actions (typically on the RD and FP piano lines, starting with the RD-300SX). The RD-64 is 64 keys, and the action is superb. A surprisingly durable and nice action, at relatively cheap prices, can be found on Casio's Privia line, but those are 88 keys. M-audio actions are heavy and slow. Hate 'em. Haven't tried the AKAI, but I heard it's also stiff. The Korg SP-280 and Yamaha P90 are nice actions, although also 88. The 73 key Korg SV-1 is nice. I prefer light hammer actions and Roland's RD300SX and Alesis Qs8.2 are gems in that regard, but 88 and no longer in production.

Most all USB-MIDI devices work with Linux. I use RD's and Privia's with Linux. But with Rolands, you have to toggle the keyboard to "Standard" (not "Advanced") USB mode, for Linux.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.