Internet connection with KXStudio

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

Internet connection with KXStudio

Post by baconature »

I am attempting to get a copy of KXStudio loaded on a hard drive in my desktop box. My isp recently converted to a PPPoE protocol for connection to the net. It seems that KXStudio doesn't have that driver in its live disc packages, so I am unable get connected to the net with that OS.
I don't know where to find the package that contains it. It is in the Ubuntu repositories via both Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager, though neither of them will do me any good. I need a complete package in its file form so I can put it on some of external media to open and load once in a session on KXstudio.

Thanks in advance, with the hope of someone knowing the answer.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
baconature
Established Member

Re: Internet connection with KXStudio

Post by baconature »

thanks for the input falkTX.
I found the drivers deb at http://packages.ubuntu.com, a new one on me.
It's important that you use the live-dvd, so that the packages are installable right away on the offline pc without any extra libs.
I am not sure what you mean in the above as "extra libs". I don't have a second computer, so I have put the deb file on a separate HD that I can access after the live disc boots up. It makes sense to me to boot the live disc, access and load the deb get connected then load the system to the HD of choice :?: though my logic may lack truth due to ignorance. The worst that can happen is I'll have to start over, I think???
Actually I don't think I have ever loaded a file in this way from a terminal prompt in this way before. I'm not sure how to do that really, but I can figure it out, maybe?

cheers
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

I got the package that included all of those files, I forget what it was called, but it had all the dependent files included, 5 or 6 of them.
Thanks for supplying the command to open the package.
This should work now unless something else shows it self.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

I'm an old CLI guy.

$ dpkg-query --load-avail -l '*partial*package*'
to find packages with distro specific names, like a version number on the end. Using aptitude or synaptic can let you get away with more generic naming conventions. Although using apt is less likely to be broken at any moment in time. Using dpkg -l '*' without the fluff used to work too, but things changed to where that only draws from installed things now.

$ apt-file find bin/executable
to find a package that contains a file, it will list all packages with matches, even partial ones so more, less, grep are your friends.

You can use find to find the deb pacakges on the ISO image if you mount it loopback style. -o loop -t iso9660
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

The OS loading became a nightmare! I was unable to get the net connection made, although the package did seem to load up (I put it on a usb flashdrive). The end result, wrecked grub, to the degree that my old system of UbuntuStudio reverted back to a January 2013 version, changing all the loaded programs, "Home" file structure and who knows what else. It makes no sense to me that such could happen but!

Anyhow the end result was that although the file system of KXStudio is in place, where it should be, grub doesn't seem to know it is there, so I can't load to that OS at all.

First things first, I am attempting to fix the problem with the other OS before I get back to KXStudio in any way.

Shadow7, thanks for the input.
1. I don't know what CLI represents? Acronyms with no reference are meaningless to me.

2. Having no computer education really, presents a lot of, "WTF is that," in my mind, because of my ignorance. I appreciate the explination about getting packages. I had no idea that one could create package files through synaptic. That is a function that I will have to figure out sometime. I take it that "aptitude" is a similar GUI program?

3. I have no idea what a loopback style means or the procedure :( Are you saying that one can look at the .iso to see if the needed file package is there, or that it is there if one looks?

When I get back to this, in a few days (maybe), I think I will start by downloading a fresh copy of the live disc. I guess I'll also get past having to go through the tedious process of disconnecting all the other hdd's inside the box before I load the system. I always knew that an unnecessary step but my fear of a mistake always made me take that step prior to this past experience. I guess my intuition was correct!

Thanks
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

CLI would be command line interface. Like xterm, bash, and other ways of doing things. It's one of the lowest level way of doing things. And unfortunately in linux, it's sometimes the ONLY way of doing things.
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

An update on this lack of real progress.

As I've said, I loaded a copy of KXStudio 12.04.3 on my desktop machine. It has a direct ethernet connection through PPPOE to my ISP via wireless radio. There is no router in the mix here. I have discovered that the PPPoE software is actually in the distro's live disk and is loaded on the new OS

I have been playing with this for a few days without any success, using both the GUI and the CLI interfaces to attempt to gain connection. I have (on a different HDD a working Kubuntu 12.04 setup, that I don't use, but I replicated all the settings in the Network Management GUI by making screenshots of each tab in both the Wired Connection and the DSL tabs of the system. It doesn't work on KXStudio but it works on Kubuntu.

Having gone through the GUI process unsuccessfully, I deleted the GUI setups then went on to the CLI. I made sure that all was off by entering

>$ poff -a

then checked that all was off with

>$ ifconfig
>$ plog

Then I set it up with

>$ pppoeconf

and

>$ pon

I then confirmed a connection with

>$ plog

I can't get any browser to load a url.

I checked with my ISP to confirm that I was really connected, confirming that I was able to log in there. It is connecting there. I can get a ping out to google successfully, but a browser won't connect.

I have done the same with the KXStudio Live Disk with the same results.

Something is not correct, but I don't know. Of course with Linix my ISP support folks don't know anything, sigh!

Any ideas?
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

>$ == as user? Some things need root access to work, it's a permissions thing. Ubuntu normally crosses that bridge with the sudo prefix for commands that run as root.

It probably wouldn't hurt to compare lsmod outputs between the two to see if there's modules running on the one that works that are not running on the one that doesn't work. It's been a while since I've done anything dialup style, but I was able to get it working when I did. With things like wvdial and diald to make it more scripted and less manual. Although kind of hard to do on live distros since there's no persistence.
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Shadow7,
When I did enter those commands, causing you question, I did it while under the umbrella of the Live-Disk. Otherwise I was using the sudo command in front but neglected to put the sudo in what I wrote above.

I don't know why this ISP went to using PPPoE for connection (there is no dialup so to say in the system). They just started this last month, its a true pain that I don't think is necessary, but... Out here in the boondocks we have very limited access to the internet.

I have fooled with this all day. Having downloaded another .ISO file, making a boot disk, I then reloaded the system to find the same thing going on. I have discovered that on the Kubuntu system, it is connecting through the CLI pppoeconfig command which will stay connected and re-connect automatically at boot. The GUI interface icon in the system tray shows that it does not work with the red X in its icon.

I also found out that these two interfaces are totally independent of one-another, thus they can both connect causing a failure to connect. I think that is an ISP rejection thing (ignorance on my part). Anyhow, I can turn off the CLI connection through the command >$ poff Now if they are both connected that command won't work and requires it be followed the option command -a I am too ignorant to use commands like that, I can't find an actual definition of them in the sources I use, and the option -a is freaky to me, just because I don't know what that really does other than shutting down the connection when it follows poff. I found out about it as a response to using the poff command in the CLI at some time in these past few days.

I know it is kind of dangerous for an idiot like me to be fooling with CLI due to the power it can possess.

Anyhow it is a mystery to me, this problem. It is like there is a firewall or something in the way. I can ping out but that is the only thing I can do. I had thought about using the CLI to get my system updated, having only the boot disk as its source of software is limiting and likely not very secure. I wouldn't know how to do that or even if it is possible.

I'll check out your trouble shoot an get back. That will take a while. I am not using the Kubuntu system at the moment.
Thanks,
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Ok, now that I have taken a look at the output of clmod, I know no more than I did. I don't actually know what any of that stuff is. The Kubuntu OS has more stuff in it because it is a fully functional updated system with a few bells and whistles, the other is just raw out of the box so to say. I am not a computer engineer, I'm a musician!

But thanks for the attempts to help.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

When I say dialup, it's not really a phone thing, it's that pppoe uses modem protocols before you get a network. I'm in the sticks a bit myself. But close enough to civilization to have a wireless ISP option (microwave dish). It's 10x's faster than actual dialup, but slow by domestic standards. It's simple in that it's a more standard DHCP over ethernet type connection. When the wildlife isn't finding the copper tastey.

The lsmod output is the drivers (kernel modules) that are loaded into memory and running. What I think is the difference between the two is the drivers in KXstudio are not "loaded". Comparing lsmod outputs and dmesg outputs can help identify which modules have meaning towards your purpose. We are talking network protocols here, which isn't so much about music. But you might be a modprobe away from having a working situation for your needs. Of course the possibility exists that the KXstudio kernel was compiled without the needed drivers which would make things more complex.

If you have a second machine with two nics (network cards) you might set it up to be a router and use simpler networking options on the KXstudio machine. There's a few arm type devices that could be acquired for that purpose if you don't already have the option. Some of which ship with ubuntu pre-installed.
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

As I said, I don't know what any of those modules listed by a lsmod command do. I can see that there are similarities an differences, yet with no understanding of what those modules do, by their identified names (meaningless to me) it presents as completely meaningless information to me. That is quite analogous to my using scientific names when talking about forest critters. Most people don't know that language, thus it does not facilitate communication.

I can identify mods; pppoe and pppox are in both systems. Really I don't know what else has to do with the networking function of either system or what might create a conflicting situation. I don't actually wish to inaccurately attempt to duplicate these lists here. I guess I could upload them to my domain then link these two screenshot jpeg files. Did that!
KXStudio-mods
Kubuntu-mods (this list is not truncated, though it may appear so)
I just did a dmesg on this Ubuntu Studio OS. It spits out a 10 city blocks long output that is as readable to me as Egyptian hieroglyphics would be. I wouldn't know how to post the results of one of those outputs due to its length.

It looks like we have near the same kind of internet connection, line of sight radio (wireless). The company I use, used to use a standard DHCP over ethernet type connection. Somehow in their evolution to provide service this system of PPPoE was introduced.

I could actually go buy a router and avoid this whole issue but that goes counter to my will to reduce energy usage by adding yet another piece of equipment that plugs in, demanding more electricity. I hate that stuff.

trudging onward, thanks for your efforts :)
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

# modinfo <module_name>

The ones for pppoe probably have ppp in the name. There's a number of router type devices that run at < 10W of power. It is another device per say, but it's not like a second or third 300W+ PC.
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

After a week of study and trial, still there is no connection made to the net. I seem to get little valued assistance either here or on ubuntu forums. Maybe I don't know how to pose this issue in a way that can provide the needed assistance with this.

I have narrowed the problem down a bit. I spent an hour with my ISP tech support guy, who knows nothing about linux and doesn't actually care since we are such a minority. But he was able to figure that the problem is somewhere in the network manager system that controls DSN connections.

His logic is that if I can ping out with an IP address but not with a domain name, the issue is in DSN. I fooled with the gui interface (first disconnecting the cli interface) but had no success.

Any more ideas.
For those of you who use KXStudio, how do you connect to the net? I have gone through every setting in the GUI that I can think to change but nothing fixes the problem. I enter the correct info for PPPoE according to my limited knowledge.

I do see on thing that I don't know what to do with. The "wired" connection tab, has a check for "connect automatically", and a check for "system automatically" radio button. Then on the DSL tab there is a check "Connect automatically" radio button. I am unsure about how these should be set. Of course I am unsure about the entire process because I am unable to get the GUI interface to connect on any of the 4 OS's I run on this box. The others work only through the CLI interface, but not true with KXStudio.

I am near to running out of will to try out this system where as I will be left with UbuntuStudio which seems lacking to me.

thanks
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

Sounds more like DNS. You could use 8.8.8.8 which is googles name resolver. In the old days the /etc/resolv.conf file contained the line "nameserver 8.8.8.8". There are new-ish things that don't use or displace the /etc/resolv.conf file. Which can be distro specific. And normally ISPs issue two IPs for DNS servers which get populated when DHCP gets a lease. With PPPoE I don't really know how that works or if it works. Which it sounds like it doesn't work in your case. If your distro still uses the /etc/resolv.conf file you can edit in manual entries there and it should just work. Be sure to make a copy of the working version since the connection method will likely hose it up with every new connection attempt. And it is likely to be a persistent issue.