Fender Mustang amp barely audible when recording[solved]

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GhostofJohnToad
Established Member

Fender Mustang amp barely audible when recording[solved]

Post by GhostofJohnToad »

Trying to get my Fender Mustang 1 v1 working within Ardour3. It's configured in Jack and will record in Ardour but it's dreadfully quiet. I have tried turning the amp volume up as well as the turning the input in Ardour up but nothing works. It's set-up such where the amp is the input and the laptop's sound card is the output. Any ideas what might be going on?
Last edited by GhostofJohnToad on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Re: Fender Mustang amp barely audible when recording

Post by Shadow_7 »

Has it worked the way you want before and nothing is different hardware wise?

If you're using fluidsynth / qsynth as the input sound, there's a gain option there. The default gain on fluidsynth is barely audible in some distros. And make sure the volume from the keyboard is appropriate, changing my e49's volume slider seems to change fluidsynths default gain. Even when I put it back to where it started from. And the soundcards software levels need to be up / alsamixer. You might also have some form of software volume control in your asoundrc file. Lots of things that could affect it, not all of which is hardware.
GhostofJohnToad
Established Member

Re: Fender Mustang amp barely audible when recording

Post by GhostofJohnToad »

Ok I figured it out. But the solution may or may not be achievable in Linux with the PLUG software.

So I went into my windows computer and used the FUSE software with the amp. Under the advanced tab there is a setting for USB gain. By default it is set to near zero! So I had to boost the gain for all my presets individually and save back to the amp. Had to put it about 50% or 75% depending on preset. Problem solved. I'm really curious why the default would be set so low.

So, does anyone know if the PLUG software supports the USB gain? I am having problems getting PLUG installed so I haven't tried it yet.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Re: Fender Mustang amp barely audible when recording[solved]

Post by Shadow_7 »

I really don't know, but I'd guess mic level vs. line level. In case you have to run it through a board that only has mic preamps. And there's a voltage difference between mic and line inputs. I guess it depends on what connectors are in use and all that. And I'm basically guessing as to why.