optimizing firewire settings

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

Dear all,
i got my new computer installed with Trisquel OS
3.2.0-38-generic #0trisquel1 SMP Wed Feb 27 19:09:07 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Running an Ardour session gives many hickups and after 254 x-runs it hang...

I tried this:
http://linux.autostatic.com/je-systeem-configureren
I have JACK installed and allowed realtime priorities.
I have not installed a Real-time kernel, should i?
These are my Jack settings:
Image

this is the outcome of ffado-diag

Code: Select all

FFADO diagnostic utility 2.999.0-
============================
(C) 2008 Pieter Palmers
    2009-2010 Arnold Krille


=== CHECK ===
 Base system...
  kernel version............ 3.2.0-38-generic
  old 1394 stack present.... False
  old 1394 stack loaded..... False
  old 1394 stack active..... False
  new 1394 stack present.... True
  new 1394 stack loaded..... True
  new 1394 stack active..... True
  /dev/raw1394 node present. False
 Prerequisites (dynamic at run-time)...
   gcc ............... gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3
   g++ ............... sh: 1: g++: not found
   PyQt4 (by pyuic4) . sh: 1: pyuic4: not found
   jackd ............. Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
     path ............ /usr/bin/jackd
     flags ........... Package jack was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `jack.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'jack' found
   libraw1394 ........ Package libraw1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libraw1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libraw1394' found
     flags ........... Package libraw1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libraw1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libraw1394' found
   libavc1394 ........ Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavc1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libavc1394' found
     flags ........... Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavc1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libavc1394' found
   libiec61883 ....... Package libiec61883 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libiec61883.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libiec61883' found
     flags ........... Package libiec61883 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libiec61883.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libiec61883' found
   libxml++-2.6 ...... Package libxml++-2.6 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml++-2.6.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libxml++-2.6' found
     flags ........... Package libxml++-2.6 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml++-2.6.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libxml++-2.6' found
   dbus-1 ............ Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'dbus-1' found
     flags ........... Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'dbus-1' found
 Prerequisites (static at compile-time)...
   gcc ............... gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-14ubuntu2) 4.6.2
   g++ ............... g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-14ubuntu2) 4.6.2
   PyQt4 (by pyuic4) . Python User Interface Compiler 4.9.1 for Qt version 4.8.0
   jackd ............. sh: 1: jackd: not found
     path ............ 
     flags ........... Package jack was not found in the pkg-config search path.
   libraw1394 ........ 2.0.7
     flags ...........  -lraw1394  
   libavc1394 ........ Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
     flags ........... Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
   libiec61883 ....... 1.2.0
     flags ...........  -liec61883 -lraw1394  
   libxml++-2.6 ...... 2.34.1
     flags ........... -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libxml++-2.6 -I/usr/lib/libxml++-2.6/include  -lxml++-2.6 -lxml2 -lglibmm-2.4 -lgobject-2.0 -lsigc-2.0 -lglib-2.0  
   dbus-1 ............ 1.4.16
     flags ........... -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include  -ldbus-1 -lpthread -lrt  
 Hardware...
   Host controllers:
05:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8024] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems Inc. Device [11bd:000e]
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 32 (500ns min, 1000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
	Region 0: Memory at f7104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	Region 1: Memory at f7100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
	Kernel modules: firewire-ohci

   CPU info:
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                8
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-7
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 58
Stepping:              9
CPU MHz:               3292.473
BogoMIPS:              6584.71
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              8192K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-7
 Configuration...
  IRQ information
Hardware Interrupts:
--------------------
 IRQ    0: PID:  None, count: [58, 58, 58, 58, 58, 58, 58, 58], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['timer']
 IRQ    1: PID:  None, count: [3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['i8042']
 IRQ    8: PID:  None, count: [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['rtc0']
 IRQ    9: PID:  None, count: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['acpi']
 IRQ   12: PID:  None, count: [4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['i8042']
 IRQ   16: PID:  None, count: [150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['ehci_hcd:usb1', 'nouveau']
 IRQ   19: PID:  None, count: [274, 274, 274, 274, 274, 274, 274, 274], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['firewire_ohci']
 IRQ   23: PID:  None, count: [39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['ehci_hcd:usb2']
 IRQ   40: PID:  None, count: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['dmar0']
 IRQ   42: PID:  None, count: [27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['ahci']
 IRQ   43: PID:  None, count: [65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['xhci_hcd']
 IRQ   44: PID:  None, count: [52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['eth0']
 IRQ   45: PID:  None, count: [25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['mei']

Software Interrupts:
--------------------


=== REPORT ===
FireWire kernel drivers:

The new FireWire kernel stack is loaded. 
This is still kind of experimental. If you encounter problems, please also check
with the old stack.
Should i proceed with "Onder de motorkap" or is it wise to do other things first?
Thank you!
SR
Established Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by SR »

Firewire is pretty much unusable on my system without a realtime kernel. I would start there.
varpa
Established Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by varpa »

For the best help optimizing firewire setup I would use the ffado-user email list: http://www.ffado.org/?q=contact
User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by autostatic »

Hi oNNogitaar, Could you post the output of ffado-diag?
tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by tramp »

oNNogitaar wrote:Dear all,
i got my new computer installed with Trisquel OS
3.2.0-38-generic #0trisquel1 SMP Wed Feb 27 19:09:07 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Running an Ardour session gives many hickups and after 254 x-runs it hang...
I haven't a firewire card, but first thing I would try is to lower the sample rate.
For non-live work with ardour, you could also set a higher frames/period rate.
On the road again.
User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

AutoStatic wrote:Hi oNNogitaar, Could you post the output of ffado-diag?
hi Jeremy,
thanks, i already did?
oNNogitaar wrote:this is the outcome of ffado-diag

Code: Select all

FFADO diagnostic utility 2.999.0-
============================
(C) 2008 Pieter Palmers
    2009-2010 Arnold Krille


=== CHECK ===
 Base system...
  kernel version............ 3.2.0-38-generic
  old 1394 stack present.... False
  old 1394 stack loaded..... False
  old 1394 stack active..... False
  new 1394 stack present.... True
  new 1394 stack loaded..... True
  new 1394 stack active..... True
  /dev/raw1394 node present. False
 Prerequisites (dynamic at run-time)...
   gcc ............... gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3
   g++ ............... sh: 1: g++: not found
   PyQt4 (by pyuic4) . sh: 1: pyuic4: not found
   jackd ............. Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
     path ............ /usr/bin/jackd
     flags ........... Package jack was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `jack.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'jack' found
   libraw1394 ........ Package libraw1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libraw1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libraw1394' found
     flags ........... Package libraw1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libraw1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libraw1394' found
   libavc1394 ........ Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavc1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libavc1394' found
     flags ........... Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavc1394.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libavc1394' found
   libiec61883 ....... Package libiec61883 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libiec61883.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libiec61883' found
     flags ........... Package libiec61883 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libiec61883.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libiec61883' found
   libxml++-2.6 ...... Package libxml++-2.6 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml++-2.6.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libxml++-2.6' found
     flags ........... Package libxml++-2.6 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxml++-2.6.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libxml++-2.6' found
   dbus-1 ............ Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'dbus-1' found
     flags ........... Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'dbus-1' found
 Prerequisites (static at compile-time)...
   gcc ............... gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-14ubuntu2) 4.6.2
   g++ ............... g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-14ubuntu2) 4.6.2
   PyQt4 (by pyuic4) . Python User Interface Compiler 4.9.1 for Qt version 4.8.0
   jackd ............. sh: 1: jackd: not found
     path ............ 
     flags ........... Package jack was not found in the pkg-config search path.
   libraw1394 ........ 2.0.7
     flags ...........  -lraw1394  
   libavc1394 ........ Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
     flags ........... Package libavc1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
   libiec61883 ....... 1.2.0
     flags ...........  -liec61883 -lraw1394  
   libxml++-2.6 ...... 2.34.1
     flags ........... -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libxml++-2.6 -I/usr/lib/libxml++-2.6/include  -lxml++-2.6 -lxml2 -lglibmm-2.4 -lgobject-2.0 -lsigc-2.0 -lglib-2.0  
   dbus-1 ............ 1.4.16
     flags ........... -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include  -ldbus-1 -lpthread -lrt  
 Hardware...
   Host controllers:
05:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8024] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems Inc. Device [11bd:000e]
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 32 (500ns min, 1000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
	Region 0: Memory at f7104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	Region 1: Memory at f7100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
	Kernel modules: firewire-ohci

   CPU info:
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                8
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-7
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 58
Stepping:              9
CPU MHz:               3292.473
BogoMIPS:              6584.71
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              8192K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-7
 Configuration...
  IRQ information
Hardware Interrupts:
--------------------
 IRQ    0: PID:  None, count: [58, 58, 58, 58, 58, 58, 58, 58], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['timer']
 IRQ    1: PID:  None, count: [3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['i8042']
 IRQ    8: PID:  None, count: [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['rtc0']
 IRQ    9: PID:  None, count: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['acpi']
 IRQ   12: PID:  None, count: [4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['i8042']
 IRQ   16: PID:  None, count: [150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018, 150018], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['ehci_hcd:usb1', 'nouveau']
 IRQ   19: PID:  None, count: [274, 274, 274, 274, 274, 274, 274, 274], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['firewire_ohci']
 IRQ   23: PID:  None, count: [39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['ehci_hcd:usb2']
 IRQ   40: PID:  None, count: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['dmar0']
 IRQ   42: PID:  None, count: [27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378, 27378], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['ahci']
 IRQ   43: PID:  None, count: [65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372, 65372], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['xhci_hcd']
 IRQ   44: PID:  None, count: [52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223, 52223], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['eth0']
 IRQ   45: PID:  None, count: [25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25], Sched None (priority None), drivers: ['mei']

Software Interrupts:
--------------------


=== REPORT ===
FireWire kernel drivers:

The new FireWire kernel stack is loaded. 
This is still kind of experimental. If you encounter problems, please also check
with the old stack.
or do you mean something else?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

SR wrote:Firewire is pretty much unusable on my system without a realtime kernel. I would start there.
I find that the low-latency kernel is fine. I have not tried the generic kernel for some time.
User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

I am not sure about the rt-kernel, if available at all.
Autostatic writes it is optional...
User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by autostatic »

oNNogitaar wrote:hi Jeremy,
thanks, i already did?
My bad, simply overlooked it :( All looks well, TI instruments host controller which sits on its own IRQ. Did you disable CPU frequency scaling? Are you using Jack1 or Jack2? And did you try with a low-latency kernel (assuming Trisquel has one)?
User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

hi Jeremy,
thanks for the help!
I do not know if i disabled CPU frequency scaling, should i do that in the BIOS? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1269293
AutoStatic wrote:Are you using Jack1 or Jack2?
i did a:

Code: Select all

dpkg -s jack | grep "Version: "
but i get:

Code: Select all

Package `jack' is not installed and no info is available.
so i do not know, how do i find out?
AutoStatic wrote:did you try with a low-latency kernel
it looks like there is only a realtime one...
https://trisquel.info/es/forum/linux-li ... a-launched
Should i install that one?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:linux-libre/rt-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-libre-rt
cheers!
User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

this gives no outcome at all

Code: Select all

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by autostatic »

oNNogitaar wrote:I do not know if i disabled CPU frequency scaling, should i do that in the BIOS? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1269293
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#cpu_frequency_scaling
oNNogitaar wrote:i did a:

Code: Select all

dpkg -s jack | grep "Version: "
but i get:

Code: Select all

Package `jack' is not installed and no info is available.
so i do not know, how do i find out?

Code: Select all

jackd -V
oNNogitaar wrote:it looks like there is only a realtime one...
https://trisquel.info/es/forum/linux-li ... a-launched
Should i install that one?
You could give it a try, baat het niet dan schaadt het niet and you can always uninstall it again if it doesn't work properly.
User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

thanks for your input!! that helps a lot :)
i did:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
and

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/cpufreq/scaling_governor
but both say:

Code: Select all

No such file or directory
i dunno what the difference between cpu*and cpu? would be, i probably need still another one.
AutoStatic wrote:

Code: Select all

jackd -V
outcome:

Code: Select all

jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
jackdmp version 1.9.8 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 8
for the realtimekernel, these are the right comands in the right order?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:linux-libre/rt-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-libre-rt
Thanks again, i highly apreceate it
User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by autostatic »

oNNogitaar wrote:thanks for your input!! that helps a lot :)
i did:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
and

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/cpufreq/scaling_governor
but both say:

Code: Select all

No such file or directory
That's weird, this could mean your kernel doesn't support CPU frequency scaling. What's the output of

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
oNNogitaar wrote:i dunno what the difference between cpu*and cpu? would be, i probably need still another one.
* and ? are both wild card characters in Bash. * is a wild card for multiple characters while ? is a wild card for single characters (http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/special-chars.html)
oNNogitaar wrote:

Code: Select all

jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
jackdmp version 1.9.8 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 8
That's Jack2. And is your user a member of the audio group?
oNNogitaar wrote:for the realtimekernel, these are the right comands in the right order?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:linux-libre/rt-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-libre-rt
Yes that should work I think.
User avatar
oNNogitaar
Established Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Berlin / Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: optimizing firewire settings

Post by oNNogitaar »

I think it worked with the realtimekernel.
t.i. there were no complaints in the terminal. But on the next startup i did not get a grub menu...
How do i select the rt-kernel? or is that automatically now?

The output of

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
is:

Code: Select all

processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 0
initial apicid    : 0
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6585.22
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 2
initial apicid    : 2
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 2
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 2
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 4
initial apicid    : 4
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 3
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 3
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 6
initial apicid    : 6
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 4
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 1
initial apicid    : 1
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.72
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 5
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 3
initial apicid    : 3
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 6
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 2
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 5
initial apicid    : 5
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 7
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 58
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
stepping    : 9
microcode    : 0x15
cpu MHz        : 3292.610
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 3
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 7
initial apicid    : 7
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips    : 6584.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

AutoStatic wrote:That's Jack2.
Is that good anyway? (since you wrote mijn voorkeur gaat uit naar Jack1)
AutoStatic wrote:And is your user a member of the audio group?
i tried as root since i do not know how to set allowances from a terminal and i did not yet find such a GUI as in UbuntuStudio.
So... i think yes.
Post Reply