Simple audio output hardware

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Simple audio output hardware

Post by raboof »

As I'm currently mostly using my setup for arrangements, quality audio output hasn't been much of a priority, and I got by with a set of *really* low-grade computer speakers with a built-in amp. I'm really starting to notice that the output isn't as clear as would be convenient, esp. in the lower registers.

So I'm looking for a new set of speakers and amp - nothing extremely fancy, say max EUR200 for a price indication.

What should I be looking for? A higher-end set of 'computer speakers' with integrated amp (such as this logitech device? Or would I be better off with a set of 'traditional' speakers and a separate amp - even though it looks like here I'll really have to be looking for the extremely low-end stuff to remain within my price range?

What makes should I look for or avoid? What characteristics are important when making a selection?
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I would just check on the internet for "studio monitors" and see if you find anything. I always mix my music on cheap headphones because that's what I play most of my music through anyway and I figure if it sounds good on cheap head phones it should sound good on anything. Which, that is a terrible way to do things. Anyway, studio monitors would be the most pro way to go. But headphones is what I use.

-Matt :D

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

MattKingUSA wrote:"studio monitors" and see if you find anything.
I didn't realize that there are 'active' studio monitors available, thanks for the pointer! Looks like there are some really good options there.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

These are real nice:

http://www.radioparadise.com/store/inde ... oductID=47

And you would be supporting indy radio!
james=jwm//art@net
Established Member

Post by james=jwm//art@net »

Only saying this as ]novice[ experience (i'm sure is not unique;)

I mainly use a pair of Sennheiser HD200 headphones, but sometimes I want to hear what ]it[ sounds like on speakers. Mordaunt-Short MS20i and Cambridge Audio amp. I nearly always am shocked at the difference in sound. The headphones seem to make everything much brighter sounding than the amp/speakers combo which make everything sound a bit lifeless to be honest.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I never ever use headphones for anything but acoustic sound takes. Headphones are really bad when it comes to mixing, their frequency response curve is awful in general! Check this website, very instructive :
http://www.headphone.com/technical/prod ... ld-a-graph

For my work, I use Dynaudio Acoustics BM5A speakers. OK, they are way too pricy if your budget is 200 euros but the sound coming out of them is quite amazing. I can hear lots of crap from mixes out of commercial CDs ...
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Monitoring is currently left to a good old pair of M-Audio StudioPro 3s. Cheap and ok.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

I went with a pair of Citronic ST-5's.

Seems like a rather little-known brand, but they sounded *much* better than the Behringer monitors in the same price range at the local DJ shop. Power is more than sufficient, too.