How to configre Maudio micro soundcard on raspberry

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pukulsesuatu
Established Member

Re: How to configre Maudio micro soundcard on raspberry

Post by pukulsesuatu »

Great! aplay doesn't work with JACK. You need a player that supports JACK like Aqualung.
I have new trouble about setting with jack and alsa.
I can hear sound with aqualung but sound is drop and noisy also cpu processing get heavy. Using onboard sound card more better than usb sound card (E-MU 0202) its weird for Me, I am sure there is something wrong. How to making jackd2 setting properly.

1) this my setting , please correct if I wrong
jackd -P70 -p16 -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:USB -p128 -n3 -r48000 -s &
2) why if I using alsa not using jackd2 I cant not hear sound for example I am try just check output sound directly. There is no error output but I can hear

Code: Select all

aplay  voice.wav
Playing WAVE 'voice.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
thanks for your patience guys

Regard
pukulsesuatu
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

There is no error output but I can hear
I assume you mean "there is no error output but I can't hear". I guess this is because the onboard card is number 0 so aplay is using the onboard but you have your speakers connected to the USB card?

Try:

aplay -Dplughw:USB voice.wav
As for jack settings, period value 128 is very low latency but also prone to xruns (audio dropouts). I suggest you should start with -p1024
Autostatic knows much better than me about how to have a stable system with very low latency, in case you need it at all.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

jackd -P70 -p16 -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:USB -p128 -n3 -r48000 -s

The -d hw:USB might require that USB is defined in your .asoundrc. Otherwise you should use the hw:# value for the card that you want to use from $(cat /proc/asound/cards).

$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 48000 -s -m

On the simple side.

As a side note, I think you have your -p parameters reversed. The first one is the port, and 16 fails on my non-pi desktop. But 128 or 256 works. Perhaps $(jackd -P70 -p128 -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:USB -p16 -n3 -r48000 -s) might work for you. I should probably get a pi someday. Or the next upgrade for it.

EDIT: as a side note I don't get anything useful if the 2nd -p is less than 64. But I didn't really bother to stop pulse on that test. At a value of 16 only one virtual keyboard event a minute seemed to make it to the connected software synth. I also tried 32 and it wasn't much better. but 64 seemed to get most if not all events down that connection point. Perhaps -p128 on both sides would be a safer bet.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Shadow_7 wrote:The -d hw:USB might require that USB is defined in your .asoundrc.
Not required.
Shadow_7 wrote:As a side note, I think you have your -p parameters reversed. The first one is the port, and 16 fails on my non-pi desktop.
They're not reversed. The smaller the number of ports, the less RAM JACK consumes. RAM is scarce on a RPi so you'd want the number of ports as low as possible.
Shadow_7 wrote:But 128 or 256 works. Perhaps $(jackd -P70 -p128 -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:USB -p16 -n3 -r48000 -s) might work for you. I should probably get a pi someday. Or the next upgrade for it.

EDIT: as a side note I don't get anything useful if the 2nd -p is less than 64.
Afaik USB1.1 audio interfaces can't go lower than 32 frames/period (trial and error, no references). Not sure about USB2.0 interfaces.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

I see you point as -p before -d is number of ports, not number of port. That being said, 0.5GB of ram is pretty hearty if you don't spread yourself thin. And -p 16 still fails to launch on my desktop where ram is 1GB. Although -p 32 seems to work. Trial and error. But not a pi machine. And none of the dssi options (hexter, xsynth, wsynth) launch at < -p 64.

I generally have multiple usb soundcards, even though some of them may not actually be soundcards as in sound output. So -dhw:USB still seems a bit abiguous in my opinion. I'll have to fiddle some more on the old laptop that only has 0.5GB of ram.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

So -dhw:USB still seems a bit ambiguous in my opinion.
However, this is the short name of the card given by ALSA, according to /proc/asound/cards or aplay -l. USB cards tend to have very generic short names. I don't know why.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Pablo wrote:USB cards tend to have very generic short names. I don't know why.
That's probably because a lot of USB audio interfaces contain generic chipsets with identical ID's. Not sure about this though.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Shadow_7 wrote:I see you point as -p before -d is number of ports, not number of port. That being said, 0.5GB of ram is pretty hearty if you don't spread yourself thin.
True for the model B rev. 2, but I also have a model B rev. 1 with only 256MB.
Shadow_7 wrote:And -p 16 still fails to launch on my desktop where ram is 1GB.
This probably means you have hardware connected that has more than 16 ports in total.
Shadow_7 wrote:And none of the dssi options (hexter, xsynth, wsynth) launch at < -p 64.
Those options use jack-dssi-host which autoconnects by default. If you run jack-dssi-host -a xsynth-dssi.so it should start up with < -p 64.
Shadow_7 wrote:I generally have multiple usb soundcards, even though some of them may not actually be soundcards as in sound output. So -dhw:USB still seems a bit abiguous in my opinion.
Didn't think about this and yes, in that case you might have to resort to creating a custom .asoundrc: http://jackaudio.org/multiple_devices
ant!

Post by ant! »

Hi!

New here and stumbled over this old thread when trying to get my old M-Audio Transit USB running on a Raspberry Pi 3.

And I got it, partly because of this thread, and some experience with this soundcard and Ubuntu. I did the whole thing with OSMC, but since this is Raspbian based it is the same anyways.

My steps, in case someone tries the same:

1. Add the repro as described here: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspber ... repository (Still madfuload seems to be in the Debian sources, but not for RP, but this repro works)

2. Install madfuload:

sudo apt-get install madfuload
3. Move the driver to the correct folder (this was maybe missing earlier here, I got this from Ubuntu):

sudo mv /lib/udev/rules.d/42-madfuload.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
4. Reboot (only after the reboot I saw it active)

-> OSMC has the soundcard in the audio settings and it seems to work after a quick test.
I want to use it as an input (not really related to OSMC, but on the same RP), so I checked arecord, and it looks also good:

osmc@osmc:~$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: USB [Transit USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Just a small point Komplete Audio KA6 can do a 16 frames per period and with only 2 periods per buffer with my synth of choice :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}