[SOLVED] RME AIO

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: RME AIO

Post by khz »

The AEB4/AEB8 I/O has 4 stereo jacks. You can use this internally instead of connecting ADAT. The quality is also very good. You can still get these cards ~cheap used on the internet.
Yes, the new AI4S/AO4S cards are 4 mono channels with better quality. You need a stereo to mono jack cable.
==> You can route a source to several outputs simultaneously.
When everything is routed the way you need it, save this as preset in the hdspmixer.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

perfect thanks, yesterday I understood with the tests, that in fact there are 4 mono outputs and therefore this morning I bought a Y cable that comes out from a double 6.3 mm mono jack and from the other comes 3.5 mm stereo mini jack for the Bose ... I'll try tonight and tell you how it goes. Thanks always for your availability and information, you are a great!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hey KHZ, I bought the right cable and finally I played the AO4S and it actually sounds high quality, exactly like the main one it depends on. Really high class. Right now I'm using outputs 3 and 4, I have to try 1 and 2 to see that everything is perfectly working. Thanks again
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi KHZ, now I'm listening to the two outputs 3-4 of the AO4S without problems but what I don't understand is why I can't enable outputs 1 and 2 of the AO4S. I tried several options from the totalmix drop-down menus but nothing, the audio doesn't come out completely, as if those 2 outputs don't exist and it's very strange. It's like they're not in the card at all. The 2-channel levels never go up despite all the rehearsals, as if there was no audio to output...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

:delay: Hmm, difficult to say. Any set up or routing thing?
Did you solve the problem?
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi KHZ, you are back :-), no nothing, I also tried to ask in the RME forum but I was unable to understand what the boy who answered me meant. I'm doing very well like this, taking advantage of 2 exits I'm very happy and I'm fine, but I would like to understand why nothing comes out of exits 1 and 2 ...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

That sounds weird.
Anyone else have any ideas? We're not the only ones with an hdsp card, are we?
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

The answer that the RME forum user gave me is this: Make sure that when you select HARDWARE OUTPUTS 3/4 and 5/6 you have SOFTWARE PLAYBACK 1/2 channels up to 0dB

I did not understand what it means but unfortunately ...
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

What does everybody connect to their AIO?

I'm looking at replacing my long-deceased tower workstation, because an ultra-portable laptop has its limits (and I'm starting to reach them).
In the event that my beloved FA-101 has died since then, I'm looking at going RME: either the Fireface UCX, or the AIO.
The UCX has all the MIDI and audio I/O I'll need, but the AIO looks a little more extensible. That raises the important questions of what I'd realistically be extending it with, via ADAT, hence the question.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

The UCX is Class Compliant so you don't have an hdspmixer but only the alsamixer. All extensions should work (I guess!).
The effects in the mixer, the hdspconf as well as the audio measurement tools do not work.

The AIO supports all I/O extensions, hdspmixer works.
The effects in the mixer, the hdspconf and the audio measurement tools do not work.
IMHO
ALSA Matrix:Vendor-RME
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

khz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm The UCX is Class Compliant so you don't have an hdspmixer but only the alsamixer. All extensions should work (I guess!).
The effects in the mixer, the hdspconf as well as the audio measurement tools do not work.

The AIO supports all I/O extensions, hdspmixer works.
The effects in the mixer, the hdspconf and the audio measurement tools do not work.
IMHO
ALSA Matrix:Vendor-RME
The I/O is really all I'm interested in, so that's encouraging. The AIO seems to have the edge, at a price.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

The hdspmixer is elementary for the interface.
The hdspconf can also be set with the alsamixer if necessary.

The AIO has an ALSA module.

Code: Select all

.config - Linux/x86 4.18.12-rt Kernel Configuration
 > Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices
  │ │    < >   RME Hammerfall DSP Audio                                       │ │ 
  │ │    <M>   RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO                             │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi32, 32/8, 32 PRO                                       │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi96, 96/8, 96/8 PRO                                     │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)                                      │ │ 

Code: Select all

.config - Linux/x86 4.18.12-rt Kernel Configuration
 > Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > FireWire sound devices
   │ │    < >   RME Fireface series support                                    │ │ 
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

I've had my RME HDSPe AIO for a year now. I've also bought the 4x input expansion card. I bought the main card 2nd hand and the expansion B-stock. Both work flawlessly, as far as I can tell. I just wanted to write this here, as for some reason, there are plenty of posts on various forums that claim the HDSPe AIO doesn't work that well on Linux. I suspect the people posting those simply have had underpowered CPUs.

The latency values ("roundtrip") are considerably better than with the USB audio interfaces with the additional buffer getting introduced at every turn and making realtime performance on VST instruments, electric guitar + amp simulators intolerable when working with multitracked projects. In my experience, even with "high-end" USB units, like the RME Babyface Pro (which I also own), the real latencies on USB interfaces are far worse than with the HDSPe AIO.

I've had clipping at levels I wouldn't expect to get clipping at all, but adjusting the levels carefully on the HDSPMixer (+Alsamixer input levels) should take care of the problem.

The only real gripe I have is that the digital I/O options really do not suit today's setups and that there really could be more analog I/O's on the main card. I believe the card has been intented to be used with the digital mixers, multiFX units available about 15 years ago and in most cases you're really not going to need all the digital options. They seem almost silly by today's standards (no, I'm not going to get a digital mixer for no real reason).
InfiNeat

Post by InfiNeat »

A few years back I wasn't able to have my AiO work properly under Linux.
I'm glad I found this thread and didn't get rid of the AiO yet...
I just want to thank all who posted here and the developers.
Now it works perfectly. I'm very impressed, and happy :D