[SOLVED] RME AIO

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: RME AIO

Post by khz »

The card and alsamixer automatically adjusts to the settings made in qjackctl or Cadence.
The settings made in alsamixer, such as "Input/Output Level (.../+4 dBu/...)" and others I save permanently with "alsactl store".
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Yet after I make a setting of the volumes on alsamixer that I call from the terminal, I close it and type the command alsactl store but when I turn off and on the computer it doesn't give me the settings I made and it returns as it was before ... I don't understand because it doesn't save the setting I make ... am I missing some steps or am I making some mistakes?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

You should differentiate:

1.) All hardware settings, such as "Input/Output Level (.../+4 dBu/...)" for example, are set in the alsamixer, which is practically the hdspconf. You do this once and save the alsamixer settings - as root (or sudo) - with "alsactl store".
2.) All volume settings can be adjusted in the hdspmixer. There you can save one or more presets and make one as default.

# All settings you make in qjackctl or cadence are automatically taken over by alsamixer (and the card).
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Well I've now done the test of saving a preset from HDSPMixer and set alsamixer again with the levels of the various channels, let's see how it behaves as soon as I turn it off and then on again.
I also tried to send a movie tonight and was impressed with how the detail and dynamics improved in the movie audio as well! Really great how this card works wow! Next month I want to take the AO4S/192 AIO and have more outputs to plug in another pair of amplified speakers and make a quality, enveloping sound... :-)
Thanks always for your advice you are the best!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

It might be confusing because of the words but:

- You don't use the alsamixer to control the volume. Alsamixer is your hdspconf where you ~one time make elementary settings of the interface.
- Everything that has to do with volume (as well as the routing, which is independent of the routing made in qjackctl, for example) you control in hdspmixer.

# Part 2: The Hammerfall DSP Mixer - Software, Features, Operation >> https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english ... tmsoft.htm

A monitor controller like e. g. Mackie's "Big Knob" makes a lot of sense. You can also build it yourself as a passive controller, DIY.
In the hdspmixer you can set everything to a loud volume and control the volume of the amplifier on the monitor controller. This gives the sound image even more presence.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Now that I have saved a preset in the HDSPEMixer, the AlsaMixer channel volumes have also been saved as I had set them, so it was on HDSPEMixer that I had to save a preset to have all the channels set as I wanted them. Thanks
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Then by doing further tests I noticed 2 things and then hop I figured out how the alsamixer rescue works. If I save alsamixer levels and then open hdspemixer, then alsamixer saves jumps and returns by default. If I save alsamixer and don't use hdspemixer, then the alsamixer levels are saved the way I set them. Then to save now I use the command "sudo alsactl store" so I added sudo before alsactl store, I read it in another site. To finish hdspeTools doesn't open, there will be a bug in the latest version or maybe in the version for my processor architecture, I should talk to Alsa but I don't know how to contact them, when I tried I couldn't do it unfortunately...
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi KHZ, excuse me, I would like to buy the RME AO4S/192 AIO expansion card, can you tell me what happens in AlsaMixer when you install this output expansion? Is this supported as well without any problems that you know? Thank you
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Oi MauryG5,

alsamixer (which is your hdspconf under Linux) as well as hdspmixer automatically recognize the expansion boards. I have these 2 different boards running successfully:
The current ones AI4S/AO4S
and the old AEB4/AEB8 I/O (This can be connected internally to the AIO instead of ADAT.)
ADAT also works plug and play.
If necessary, run hdsploader again.
And still satisfied with your purchase? I am for years, it runs stable and the sound is musical. 8-)

HF
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi Khz, ok then within the next week I will take it, I want to expand the Stereo outputs and that is excellent because it has the converter and the analog section, dedicated and therefore the quality does not lose anything! I am very satisfied thanks, the sound coming out of the AIO is really of a higher level, nothing to do with the sound of the motherboard which is still good. We are really at high levels, congratulations to RME for this card, all those who have it say the same thing, card with great audio quality! Very satisfied, thanks again for your valuable advice!
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi KHZ, as I mentioned a while ago, I decided to take also the expansion of the AIO outputs and so I bought the AO4S that expands the outputs by 4 units with 6.3 mm jack. As soon as I started Alsa MIxer I immediately realized that from the 16 channels I had available, I went to 20, I found 4 additional channels and then I realized that those were the ones of the AO4S. The problem is that nothing comes out, I connected 2 more amplified speakers to the first of the 4 outputs with a stereo jack cable, but from the additional card apparently nothing comes out even though I turned up the volumes of the 4 additional channels. Do you know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm forgetting something? Thanks
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Where did you adjust the volume, in the alsamixer or the hdspmixer?
1.) Everything that has to do with volume control you do in the hdspmixer.
2.) Did you route the sound source to be output to the desired AO4S channels?
Source: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english ... tmsoft.htm

==> You can route a source to several outputs simultaneously.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

I turned up the volumes first on alsamixer, saw 4 new additional channels and hjo turned up all 4, then I tried to turn up all the HDSPMixer volumes but nothing comes out. How do I route the source to the expansion board? Maybe that's the problem, I don't know how to route the source to the AO4S... The HDSPMixer tickers you're showing me are there, I've checked them out...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Forget alsamixer! Alsamixer is the replacement for the hdspconf.
Always use the hdspmixer!
Sound source routes: Right click on the letters/numbers (e. g. Out 1 and Out 2) below the level meter where the signal to be heard is located, select the desired destination where it should arrive and click. There pull up the level. Each destination has its own level (volume control) and you will see the signal strength in the 3rd (lower) mixer field. You can route everything to everything at once. (==> See picture in my last post.)
Read the manual and/or the linked archiv.rme-audio.de page. RTFM ;-)
1rd mixer field - Hardware input
2rd mixer field - Software input
3rd mixer field - Hardware output
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi KHZ, something I started to get, I recovered the output of channel 19 and channel 20 and I finally started to hear the AO4S card playing. Only I had understood that the 4 JAck 6.3 mm sockets in the board were stereo each and instead I saw that they are monophonic each and that therefore you need a 6.3 mm double jack cable to make a stereo output complete with left and right channel. So I need a special cable. Now I need to figure out how to activate channel 1 and channel 2 for the other audio output that I am not currently having. I need to figure out how to set up HDSPMixer in that part as well. Can you confirm that the outputs are 2 stereo on 4 jacks right?

Thank you very much