[SOLVED] RME AIO

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MauryG5
Established Member

Re: RME AIO

Post by MauryG5 »

Thanks for the amp's advice but at the moment I don't need an amp. I forgot instead to ask you something, once mounted the RME card in his PCIe port, I have to set some parameters on linux for him to recognize the RME card as first choice or not necessary? Thank you very much for your valuable support ....
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I have switched off the on board soundcard (and other things I don't need) in the Bios.
If there are still several audio/MIDI interfaces detected and they are not correct or they change constantly after each reboot you can clearly define the boot order. See for example here: viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025

In general: In my signature are hopefully more helpful information.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Well then I'll try to run these commands and then try to put RME as the first choice. The integrated audio of the motherboard that I am currently using I don't want to turn it off completely, I just want to put it as a second choice in case one day I have problems with RME. Thanks let me know how it goes when RME arrives! You were great!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

With the entry in the "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf" this works reliably.
I had never used the on board soundcard again, there were never failures with the RME cards.
Besides turning off the on board soundcard in the bios you can also blacklist module(s).
:D
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

They sent me the message that the card has already started even if today is Saturday wow ...! I looked at that line you wrote to me but I noticed that strangely, in the "modprobe.d" directory I am missing the file "alsa-conf or alsa-base.conf ... do you think there is something I am missing yet?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I had created the "alsa-conf" back then with the entries, if I remember correctly. It's been a few years since I did that, it was in 2013.
If anyone with any depth of knowledge, please weigh in. I'm not that computer nerd, I need some notes like in my signature or I'll forget everything.

I just read an old post of mine in another forum:
According to http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleUSBAudioDevices this will be replaced by
"/etc/modules.conf, or /etc/modprobe.conf" (on Gentoo, there is only "/etc/conf.d/modules, or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf")
settled?
<-- So it could differ from distribution to distribution, be named differently, different paths for the entries.
Computers/operating systems are complex.

<EDIT>
/etc/asound.conf for system-wide settings that affect all users (don't forget root privileges when editing)
~/.asoundrc for settings that affect only one user account.
Source: Festlegen des Default-Device https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Advance ... ult-Device</EDIT>
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Yes, of course it is possible that it is called in a wrong way. I use Fedora 31 as a distribution and on Fedora the kernel has reached version 5.4 and is now continuing. I use an even more advanced kernel called 5.5.0 rc1 + because it allows me to use a patch to boot and use the AMD RAdeon 5700 XT. When I mount the card and start everything first I will check that the system sees it correctly but on that there will be no problems because it also sees the Sound Blaster AE-9 which cannot work at the moment but sees it correctly in any case. Once I have ascertained the actual presence at the system level, I will open the command shell and type that command that you said to me previously or "hdsploader" and if all goes well the mixer that you posted as a photo should start and the card ready to make sound. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives so I will also put my personal experience in the forum that never hurts obviously ... :-)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Just found and added in previous post:
~/.asoundrc for settings that affect only one user account.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

https://www.startpage.com/ or the search engine of your choice:

Fedora asound.conf

<-- Source: How to debug sound problems :: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_d ... _parameter?
This is how I do it. ;-)
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Ah here so they say that this famous configuration file must be created at the end. In any case, the mixer that you posted as photo "alsamixer.png1" or the first photo of the 3, I made it come out myself several times, in an attempt to make the SoundBlaster work which is without support and without driver. I know then that mixer is enough to type the command "alsamixer" and the mixer appears as seen in the first of your 3 photos. Now I want to see if the one in the third photo appears to me correctly, which is much more beautiful and I think functional than the first one and see what it allows me to adjust. I can't wait to have this card in my hands ... :-) Later on I would also like to take the expansion of outputs that you confirm to work well, so as to have other outputs ready for use ... It is of the AO4S / 192 AIO, incorporates an additional DAC for the management of the 4 outputs independent from that of the main board and you can also see an excellent analogue management section. Really a lot of stuff wow! Thank you very mutch! :D
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I don't ant or need anything else. Runs reliable, stable, extensive settings, complex routing, dynamic/powerful/neutral sound, ... .

< ;-) >
Then never start a Windows on the computer with the AIO in it. The hdspmixer has a much better GUI (no https://www.fltk.org/ like in GNU), ..., ... .
Under GNU/Linux not everything is supported on, for example, RME interfaces (for example, smallest problem: no FX in hdspmixer) ... .
RME has its own driver development / maintenance. Under Linux, a few ALSA developers do that. Documentation and communication from RME to the ALSA developers to make the hardware run under Linux is relatively good. !THX ALSA!
</ ;-) >
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Understood thanks for the valuable information, I also asked in the RME direct forum, before joining this forum, they replied telling me to inform me through ALSA for the support of their cards. In any case, I want to use the mixer you recommended, you see that it is much more complete and beautiful to use. What model do you have of the RME card, the AIO that you see currently on the site and that I have taken or other previous model?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

In the RME Forum I never dared to ask anything. ^^
My AIO, from 2013, is the same as the one on the RME HP.
Hdspmixer is so much more than just a mixer, e. g. you can route anything to anything, ... .
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Well then it allows you to do many things and manage the card to the best of what I understand. And instead what about the difference if you are aware of it obviously, with the total Mix of AIO that you see on Windows, in your opinion what differences are there? I saw that the total Mix has a lot of possible controls, I don't know what difference there is with this of Alsa ...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Don't panic, the card works reliably and is great.
There is hardly any difference between Linux/Windows/MacOS.
  • Under Windows/MacOS the GUI is more modern.
  • Under Linux the hdspmixer cannot be remote controlled or controlled via MIDI.
  • Other, newer RME interfaces have more new features, like FX in the mixer for example, which is not (yet) possible.