[SOLVED] RME AIO

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

[SOLVED] RME AIO

Post by khz »

Will be a HDSPe AIO fully supported now (hdspconf/..)?
Any hope?

<E> Yes ==> viewtopic.php?p=101909#p101909 </E>
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
khz
Established Member

Re: RME AIO

Post by khz »

OK, when i read the posts there: Alsa-user mailing list i see that hdspmixer is work but hdspconf, Analog Expansion Boards, ... are not working.
Is there any plans to get a fully AIO to use under Linux?

Example, not the AIO
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

Five years gone and no progress
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Everything works except hdspconf. For hdspconf I use alsamixer.
External MIDI I/O (may) cause xruns.

Kernel:
  • ALSA: hdspm - Add RayDAT and AIO strings to Kconfig 2.6.39
  • ALSA: hdspm - Fix S/PDIF Sync status and frequency on RME AIO 3.12

Code: Select all

.config - Linux/x86 4.18.12-rt Kernel Configuration
 > Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices
  │ │    < >   RME Hammerfall DSP Audio                                       │ │ 
  │ │    <M>   RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO                             │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi32, 32/8, 32 PRO                                       │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi96, 96/8, 96/8 PRO                                     │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)                                      │ │ 

> Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > FireWire sound devices
   │ │    < >   RME Fireface series support                                    │ │ 

<E>

==> The 96/8 work 100% with all extensions, didn't have a HDSPmixer yet. The hdspconf works with the "RME Digi96, 96/8, 96/8 PRO" (except 96/8 Pad would only run at specific timings well).

==> RME cards and the breakout boxes Digiface, Multiface I and II as well as the cardbus and PCI cards. All worked great, low latency.

==> A 9632 work 100% with all extensions and with the HDSPmixer. The hdspconf works with the "RME Hammerfall DSP Audio" (9632) (PCI).

==> The AIO also works 100% with all extensions and with the HDSPmixer. The "RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO" (PCIe) hdspconf does not work. The hdspconf can be set via alsamixer. ==> Babyface >> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15028&p=67121

######## ########

Install:
"alsa-firmware-loaders" https://packages.debian.org/buster/alsa ... re-loaders
"alsa-tools-gui". https://packages.debian.org/en/buster/alsa-tools-gui

Then execute the command "hdsploader" in the console.

To permanently save the settings in alsamixer (as root):

alsactl store

How Start an Open Source project to create a replacement for RME Totalmix fx >> viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24228

# Info
khz wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am

;-)</E>
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

Do I miss here something? Not the first time... The RME9632 and HDSPmixer works fine but when the AI4S expansion board is connected HDSPmixer seqfaults. The AI4S works still nicely and I can record from those inputs but the mixer app doesn't show up. All this with AVLinux2018.

edit: ok AIO is different than AI4S but problems are very alike I guess??
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I had a 96/8 and a 9632 so far, both work 100% with all extensions and with the HDSPmixer. The 96/8 didn't have a HDSPmixer yet.
The AIO also works 100% with all extensions and with the HDSPmixer, only the hdspconf can only be set via alsamixer.

Did you run hdsploader again after installing the AI4S expansion board?

In case of problems please check the "Alsa-user mailing list" and cooperate with the developers.
When I bought this AIO the AIO was not yet supported under Linux. >> Asked in the "Alsa-user mailing list" and cooperated with the developers. :-D
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

HDSPconf gui works finely. The hdsploader says that the card is there. When booted without the additional board the HDSPmixer shows only 12 channals but the card is capable up to 16. So my guess is that those 4 extra channels are not written into the mixer app.
But on your screenshot all the capable channels are visible?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

The hdspconf works with the "RME Hammerfall DSP Audio" (9632) (PCI).
Only with the "RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO" (PCIe) hdspconf does not work, but you can adjust the audio interface with alsamixer.

This was a screenshot from the internet, found by chance via google. ;)

Did you connect the I/O extensions correctly?
In the hdspconf everything is set correctly?
You can operate the audio interface at 48 khz maximum, at 88.2 the I/O is halved, at 192000 the I/O is halved again. See RME 9632 manual.

The following screenshot (RME-AIO-hdspmixer.png) is from my computer. There are ADAT and I/O extensions built in, 18 inputs and 20 outputs. :-D Everything works 100% with all extensions and with the HDSPmixer.
Attachments
RME-AIO-hdspmixer.png
RME-AIO-hdspmixer.png (36.5 KiB) Viewed 26896 times
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

Thank you for your patiency.
On the hdspconf there is nothing regarding the analog expansion boards. And yes, no silly sample rates/bit depths, just good'ol 48/24. The expansion board is connected to 9632 by a simple ribbon cable. The audio from inputs is fine and all the inputs are visible at the Ardour, but HDSPmixer refuses to co-operate. I need to launch the HDSPmixer always after power-up to get audio working, despite it does not appear.
After all this is not so serious, just wondering.

edit: After some google research revealed that issue is known but there is no much effort to fix it.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

hello, sorry I'm new to the forum, I would like to resume this discussion because I am interested in purchasing this RME HDSPe AIO card but I need to have secure information. I have a computer with Linux and I use Fedora as a distro, you can confirm that this card works well on Linux. If you would like to know the procedure of how you have done it ... thanks
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

My computer has been using a RME AIO for years - see my incoming post 2013 -, works very reliable: hdspmixer, 18 inputs and 20 outputs (with ADAT or internal extensions) and MIDI: jitter-free and reliably fast. :-)
Only the hdspconf does not work. It would be nice if this would change RME. But therefore I use alsamixer which offers almost all possible settings.

The module is available in the kernel.
khz wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 pm Everything works except hdspconf. For hdspconf I use alsamixer.

Kernel:
  • ALSA: hdspm - Add RayDAT and AIO strings to Kconfig 2.6.39
  • ALSA: hdspm - Fix S/PDIF Sync status and frequency on RME AIO 3.12

> Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices
  │ │    < >   RME Hammerfall DSP Audio                                       │ │ 
  │ │    <M>   RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO                             │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi32, 32/8, 32 PRO                                       │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi96, 96/8, 96/8 PRO                                     │ │ 
  │ │    < >   RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)                                      │ │ 

> Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > FireWire sound devices
   │ │    < >   RME Fireface series support                                    │ │ 
So it is recognized and supported.

Also 2 (and more) RME cards work. I had a 9632 and a AIO with all extensions in ~use for a while with the "audioadapter". Everything works reliably.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hi, thank you very much for your answer, I am interested that it works well, I do not have to go to the recording studio so if something is missing it is okay, it is important that the AIO card itself is fine and I have no problems. So the Linux kernel has support for some time now you're telling me, this is good news. I had read your posts but I wanted a direct confirmation because I have to spend 580 euros to buy just her, plus adapter for various outputs. I would also like to take BO 9632 together with the card. Listen, do I have to install something beyond what the Kernel requires to have everything available including all the Alsa Mixer controls as seen in the photo above? Thanks, it's very kind of you.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

A kernel higher than 3.12 (rather 2.6.39) supports the AIO, also the MADI/RayDAT.
Expansion cards BO 9632, ... as well as ADAT, MIDI and everything else works.

You have to install the package "alsa-tools-gui". https://packages.debian.org/en/buster/alsa-tools-gui
hdspconf - GUI program to control the Hammerfall HDSP Alsa Settings.
hdspmixer - tool to control the advanced routing features of the
RME Hammerfall DSP.
rmedigicontrol - control tool for RME Digi32 and RME Digi96 soundcards
Then execute the command "hdsploader" in the console.

All settings that the faulty hdspconf would otherwise take over are made in the "alsamixer".
As mixer you have the hdspmixer.

The RME interfaces are expensive, yes, but you won't regret it. :D
Attachments
RME_AIO_alsamixer-1
RME_AIO_alsamixer-1
RME_AIO_alsamixer-1.png (42.7 KiB) Viewed 26856 times
RME_AIO_alsamixer-2
RME_AIO_alsamixer-2
RME_AIO_alsamixer-2.png (43.73 KiB) Viewed 26856 times
RME_AIO_alsamixer-3
RME_AIO_alsamixer-3
RME_AIO_alsamixer-3.png (13.02 KiB) Viewed 26856 times
RME_AIO_hdspmixer
RME_AIO_hdspmixer
RME_AIO_hdspmixer.png (44.46 KiB) Viewed 26856 times
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Perfect thank you very much for your answers, they have been very helpful. I have already installed alsa tools which among the others I found later as a version, the one I took is 1.2.2.1 which should be more updated. Then he asked me to install the firmware to manage RME with ALSA. Obviously I can't start it now because I don't have the card mounted. But I should be ready to use it at this point. I had bought the Sound Blaster AE-9 that you certainly know, but unfortunately there is currently no support so I have to take it apart and hijack it to another computer and in this, buy the RME. I also tell you that my computer does not use X86 architectures but IBM Power but in any case I found everything I needed. Thanks again for the valuable information you gave me, you helped me a lot. For the moment I only take the adapter with analogue rca in and out, further on, being that you tell me that the expansions also work, I was thinking of buying the card with 4 3.5 mm jack outputs as well. Thanks a lot! Tonight I order the AIO now! :-)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

The interface, which by the way sounds very natural/powerful/dynamic and so on, must be built in for hdsploader to load the AIO. Only then does the AIO appear in alsamixer or starts hdspmixer, yes.

An RME MADI or RayDAT, which are also supported, wouldn't be bad either!
Depending on the application the interfaces have their strengths. Depending on your personal use. Let's compare, calculate and consider. With all extensions, ADAT, ... you can lose a lot of money quickly. :lol:

<EDIT>As an amplifier the PAS 2002PCA is perfect. ;-)</EDIT>