Roland UA-55

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Smeefer
Established Member

Re: Roland UA-55

Post by Smeefer »

The Roland UA-55 Quad Capture is starting in Jack at 96khz now. The driver module is in development and big progress is being made. The UA-55 is almost fully functional in linux now. The only thing that needs to happen at this point is the input/capture ports need to be recognized by Jack at 96khz. Once that happens, I will be able to test the gain knobs on each stereo input to see if those work and if they do, the card will be functioning perfectly in AV Linux 6.0 (on a 3.8-pae linux kernel).

Code: Select all

01:05:05.038 JACK is starting...
01:05:05.038 /usr/bin/jackd -P80 -p512 -dalsa -dhw:1 -r96000 -p1024 -n2
01:05:05.044 JACK was started with PID=3433.
jackd 0.121.3
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
apparent rate = 96000
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|96000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to playback-only mode
configuring for 96000Hz, period = 1024 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer <--listen to Smeefer's music!
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer-collabs <--listen to Smeefer's music with vocalists.
www.camversion.org/smeefers-blog <--read Smeefer's blah blah blog!
Smeefer
Established Member

Post by Smeefer »

Update on this: The Roland UA-55 works at 96khz for recording and playback now. As of yet, the only things that doesn't work on the device are the direct monitoring mix knob and the input gain knobs on the stereo inputs. Much progress has been made and the soundcard is functionable in linux now.
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer-collabs <--listen to Smeefer's music with vocalists.
jla

Post by jla »

How is the Roland Studio-Capture in GNU/Linux?
Smeefer
Established Member

Post by Smeefer »

Hi jla, is "Roland Studio-Capture" a software? If so, then i haven't used it yet.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Smeefer wrote:is "Roland Studio-Capture" a software?
No, he's asking about Roland's newest audio interface: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1268/498

Very, very unlikely to be supported by Linux. Firstly, Roland doesn't mention iOS support, which means that it may not be USB-Audio class compliant. Secondly, it's clearly a product for pros, with lots of ins/outs (ie lots of data over usb). In that market, the #1 priority is that it have comparable performance/latency under Windows/Mac as competing audio interfaces. To that end, typically the device will eschew class compliance in favor of a proprietary, lean-and-mean USB audio-streaming protocol optimized for that particular hardware.

This is one that very likely is, and will remain, unsupported outside of Windows/Mac.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

rafalafu
Established Member

Post by rafalafu »

Hello Smeefer, do you have any knowledge about UA-22 (Roland Duo Capture Duo Ex) ???
I am working in Ubuntu 12.04 ...

Thanks
MountainX
Established Member

Post by MountainX »

Hi. I'm interested in the Roland UA-55 as a replacement for a Scarlett 2i2. What is the latest news on the Roland UA-55 in Linux? I'm running KX Studio (based on Kubuntu 12.04) with kernel 3.8.0-30-lowlatency. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on the UA-55.

(BTW, this page http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_support needs to be updated but I am not able to do it.)
nether
Established Member

Post by nether »

I'm also interested in using the UA-55 in Linux. I currently own one and have tried various different distributions including Fedora 19 which uses the 3.9.x kernel (and also Ubuntu 13.04) but the device does not show in /proc/asound/cards. I currently have Debian testing installed.

Is anyone able to write a quick guide or give an overview of how to use this device in Linux? (i.e. what Kernel is required, if any patches are required, where to get them).

If I can use this with 96KHz playback and recording I will be very happy, right now it is a brick if I am mobile!

I cannot understate my appreciation of a short simple guide, even if it is fairly vague.

Cheers.
MountainX
Established Member

Post by MountainX »

Smeefer wrote:Update on this: The Roland UA-55 works at 96khz for recording and playback now.
I had a chance to try a new Roland UA-55 on my Linux system today. I'm running KX Studio (based on Kubuntu 12.04) with kernel 3.8.0-30-lowlatency. The Roland UA-55 is not recognized at all, not even by lsusb. So I don't know how it works for others, but it absolutely did not work for me even with kernel 3.8. (Kubuntu 12.04 would normally have a 3.2 kernel.)
nether
Established Member

Post by nether »

MountainX wrote:
Smeefer wrote:Update on this: The Roland UA-55 works at 96khz for recording and playback now.
I had a chance to try a new Roland UA-55 on my Linux system today. I'm running KX Studio (based on Kubuntu 12.04) with kernel 3.8.0-30-lowlatency. The Roland UA-55 is not recognized at all, not even by lsusb. So I don't know how it works for others, but it absolutely did not work for me even with kernel 3.8. (Kubuntu 12.04 would normally have a 3.2 kernel.)
I have successfully managed to get it to show in /proc/asound/cards on the 3.11 kernel compiled by myself on Debian and on Fedora.

But, I was unable to use the card to playback with JACK, Pulseaudio or ALSA directly. For some reason it just doesn't work, no matter what I do I cannot hear audio through device.
MountainX
Established Member

Post by MountainX »

Is there another audio interface comparable (in terms of ports and sound quality) to the UA-55 and that works on Linux? Thanks for any recommendations.
nether
Established Member

Post by nether »

MountainX wrote:Is there another audio interface comparable (in terms of ports and sound quality) to the UA-55 and that works on Linux? Thanks for any recommendations.
Perhaps check out AV Linux first. I'm not sure how (and haven't tested it), but there was success with getting the UA-55 working.

Refer to this thread: http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index ... pic=2857.0
On page 3 I think, there's even a precompiled kernel you can download, but it may be best to do your own.

If you (or anyone) does have any success, please post again here so that others can use the UA-55!

(Edit: also, I would recommend trying with the 3.11 stable kernel if you can. I'm not sure the patches from Clemens that enabled support for the UA-55 were in the 3.8 kernel that you tried - which would explain why it is not recognised!)

Cheers
Last edited by nether on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MountainX
Established Member

Post by MountainX »

nether wrote:
MountainX wrote:Is there another audio interface comparable (in terms of ports and sound quality) to the UA-55 and that works on Linux? Thanks for any recommendations.
Perhaps check out AV Linux first. I'm not sure how (and haven't tested it), but there was success with getting the UA-55 working.

On page 3 I think, there's even a precompiled kernel you can download, but it may be best to do your own.

If you (or anyone) does have any success, please post again here so that others can use the UA-55!

(Edit: also, I would recommend trying with the 3.11 stable kernel if you can. I'm not sure the patches from Clemens that enabled support for the UA-55 were in the 3.8 kernel that you tried - which would explain why it is not recognised!)

Cheers
Thanks. That's all good advice! I think you are right about why mine wasn't recognized.

AV Linux seems great. But I'm committed to KDE, so I will stick with KX Studio. That limits me to the 3.8 series kernel unless I want to use a kernel that is not in the repos -- which I don't. So I sent my UA-55 back, but I will keep following the thread and when I see that it is working I'll buy one again.
nether
Established Member

Post by nether »

MountainX wrote:
nether wrote:

Cheers
Thanks. That's all good advice! I think you are right about why mine wasn't recognized.

AV Linux seems great. But I'm committed to KDE, so I will stick with KX Studio. That limits me to the 3.8 series kernel unless I want to use a kernel that is not in the repos -- which I don't. So I sent my UA-55 back, but I will keep following the thread and when I see that it is working I'll buy one again.
Cool, hopefully we can get it working in the mean time!
nether
Established Member

Post by nether »

Good news everyone.

This now works in an updated install of Ubuntu 13.10, no additional configuration needed - plug and play (but I did have to reboot).

Have yet to test functions other than playback, report on this tomorrow.