Is (a 2nd hand) Kawai ES1 a good buy for Linux music making?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AisIceEyes
Established Member

Is (a 2nd hand) Kawai ES1 a good buy for Linux music making?

Post by AisIceEyes »

As I've mentioned in my intro thread here, I am saving up for a keyboards. As I don't think I can shell out on a brand new 88-keys keyboard just yet, I saw an ad in a local online buy and sell community in our country, a 2nd hand Kawai ES1 Sylphie. I've google'd that the ES1 has been phased out and has been replaced by the newer model. And the price being sold for the electric piano is around 670 US dollars if converted from our local currency (so it's relatively a bargain). Here and here are pdf files I have google'd about the model.

My "comfort zone" as a keyboardist is the feel and touch of a real piano. You see, I grew up studying classical piano when I was aged 3-4 until I was in high school (and ended up studying violin towards my 2nd half in high school, but ended up not studying anything as I try to pass college entrance exams haha). So the feel and touch of a real piano is quite important to me. I've already tried 61-keys or 71-keys but I end up hating it whenever I try to play my old classical piano pieces as either there are no bass keys (for 61-keys) or higher notes (71-keys). Knowing Kawai branded electric pianos, the feel and touch of their electric pianos is really like a real piano.

I want to ask if it is advisable if I buy this (as my first portable keyboard for gigs, even though I know it weighs a ton) if I also plan to hook it up with my GNU/Linux laptop as a MIDI controller. Sorry if I'm still relatively a n00b at all things music making using Linux but yeah, I got to start somewhere by asking this first question (where googling endlessly about it have failed me so far).
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Is (a 2nd hand) Kawai ES1 a good buy for Linux music mak

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

For questions about pro music equipment, and keyboards in particular, you definitely should avail yourself of the following 2 forums:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... p-Samplers
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... production

As a classically trained pianist, and a gigging musician who plays keyboards, I can definitely speak to your question. People do seem to like the more expensive Kawaii actions. And unlike with digital audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces have been supporting a USB MIDI standard for many years. Basically, most every device that does MIDI over a usb cable, manufactured during the past 5 years, should be plug-and-play with Linux. For example, when I attach my Roland RD300SX's usb jack to my computer, Linux automatically recognizes its MIDI In and Out (over usb). Same thing with a Casio Privia, M-audio 88es, Korg Sp250, etc.

If you're on a tight budget, the casio privia px-130 is a surprisingly sturdy built action (albeit on the heavier side of actions). And at 26 pounds, it's quite portable. Definitely works under linux. The Korg sp180 action feels identical to the px-130, and this model is also lightweight and inexpensive. Any of my other recommendations will weigh more.

I absolutely hate M-audio's actions.

I prefer light weighted actions, and my 2 favs are the Roland RD300sx, and the Alesis QS88.2 (MIDI jacks only -- no usb connection). In general, I like Roland actions, and would recommend any of the RD or FP models (supported under linux since the SX series).

Yamaha actions are heavier than I like, with the P95 being the lightest (and slightly lighter action than the casio or korg).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

AisIceEyes
Established Member

Re: Is (a 2nd hand) Kawai ES1 a good buy for Linux music mak

Post by AisIceEyes »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:If you're on a tight budget, the casio privia px-130 is a surprisingly sturdy built action (albeit on the heavier side of actions). And at 26 pounds, it's quite portable. Definitely works under linux. The Korg sp180 action feels identical to the px-130, and this model is also lightweight and inexpensive. Any of my other recommendations will weigh more.
Thank you very much for your great suggestions j_e_f_f_g! Your suggestions are just what I needed! Okay, as I've researched from your suggestions, adding the factors that I'm in a tight budget, I'm trying to get my hands tested in Casio Privia PX130 locally here in the Philippines. You are right, for a relatively high end 88-key, it is lightweight. It's also perfect for what I'm specially looking that it is simpler and doesn't have much features. Honestly, I don't really need some extra features of the 88-keys besides that it has hammer action and grand piano sound in its "default" state. As long as it has the mentioned properties and has USB out and is compatible with Linux if I'm going to use it as a MIDI controller.

Thank you so much j_e_f_f_g! /goes to the nearest Casio Privia retailer in our country and will start saving up to buy the keyboards