Soundcraft Notepad 8FX

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

carloratm

Soundcraft Notepad 8FX

Postby carloratm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:38 am

Hi all,

I am considering this device:

https://www.thomann.de/it/soundcraft_notepad_8fx.htm

Has anyone any experience with that on Linux?
Do you think it is working well as a sound card with jack?

Best,
Carlo

flappix
Established Member

Re: Soundcraft Notepad 8FX

Postby flappix » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm

I don't know this specific device but from my experience with mixer devices similar to this one I would say they are not the best choice for recording. Most of them are quite noisy and you can just record OR playback but not both simultaneously.

If your focus is on the mixer functionality then go for it but if your focus is on recording a audio interface would be better.

zebra

Re: Soundcraft Notepad 8FX

Postby zebra » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:51 pm

hello, this is my first post here. i'm a linux audio software developer and musician, came to this question while searching for more info on possible linux drivers for this device.

i have a soundcraft notepad-8fx and find it an overall excellent product:

- it has the same crisp, transparent preamp sound as larger professional Soundcraft mixers,
- a nice 3-band EQ on the first two channels,
- and overall a much lower noise floor than other micro-mixers in the budget range. (mackie mix-8, i'm looking at you.)
- the built-in effects are quite limited, but better than nothing,
- and it works very well as a 2-channel USB audio interface. yes, this feature is class-compliant and works fine on linux without the need for drivers.
- finally i find the low-profile form factor very convenient for efficient packing with other gear and pedals.

however, there is one huge drawback for linux which you should know about: by default, the USB interface captures the entire master mix. for windows and macOS, there is a configuration utility to change this, allowing to capture any pair of input or output busses. unfortunately (and is is the real stinger) this setting isn't persistent - you must re-configure it on every power-up.

someday i hope to find the time to hack the USB protocol for configuration, and then it really will be a near-perfect utility mixer for live audio processing in a portable linux-based performance rig. as it is, it is great if you only want to capture the master mix.

purely on a sound-quality basis, i find the allen&heath "zed-fx" line to be just a bit superior (with fantastic-sounding built-in effects), but they are substantially pricier and more inconveniently shaped for a smaller channel count.

oh, i should also mention that like many british mixers, the outputs of both the soundcraft and the A&H are balanced XLR, and these tiny ones lack 1/4" options, which can be inconvenient.

hope it helps!

-eb

Return to “Computer Related Hardware”