Ultralite AVB

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

rofer
Establlshed Member

Re: Ultralite AVB

Postby rofer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:09 am

Also, can anyone explain what exactly the host safety buffer is? Does it have to be related to the buffer size set in jack, or is it completely independent?

Musinux
Establlshed Member

Postby Musinux » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 am

rofer wrote:Also, can anyone explain what exactly the host safety buffer is? Does it have to be related to the buffer size set in jack, or is it completely independent?

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/avb/MOTU%20Pro%20Audio%20Driver%20Read%20Me.pdf
This setting allows
you to fine tune host latency. Larger offsets allow the driver
more time to process audio as it transfers to and from the
hardware. Lower settings produce lower latency, but if you go
too low, your host software may experience performance
issues.

Sounds like (additional) prebuffering interface internally. But especially that readme is written in a "we don't know why, but play around with it" style.

vth
Establlshed Member

Postby vth » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm

rofer wrote:I got a suggestion to try "v1.2.4+201 (Release Date 2015-12-01)" and a reminder that MOTU doesn't officially support Linux which is about what I expected.

I've now tried that version, and the results are the same as with v1.2.8+378 that I tested in July: everything seems to work fine until suddenly all the input channels glitch out. As with 1.2.8, the outputs (at least the speaker and main outs I was using) continue to work fine even after that.

rofer
Establlshed Member

Postby rofer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Drumfix wrote:Unfortunately i was wrong. It worked, because i had hooked it up to a windows box, where it apparently initialized correctly and then reconnected it to the linux box without rebooting the device... The search continues...

Does that work reliably?

If so it seems to suggest that if we can reverse-engineer whatever magic the Windows driver does then we can get this working.

Drumfix
Establlshed Member

Postby Drumfix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 am

I downgraded to 1.2.9, which is much more reliable so far. Got a i210 card now, so will try to get AVB running.

rofer
Establlshed Member

Postby rofer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:44 am

I tried hooking it up to a Windows computer then moving it to a linux one and it didn't seem to help any unfortunately.

Drumfix: Could you get that to work reliably? If so it would be a great sign that this could work reliably with Linux with the existing firmware.

Drumfix
Establlshed Member

Postby Drumfix » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 am

Unfortunately 1.3.4 was not reliable, even when in "windows mode".

supereb
Establlshed Member

Postby supereb » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Drumfix wrote:I downgraded to 1.2.9, which is much more reliable so far. Got a i210 card now, so will try to get AVB running.

Unfortunately the firmware versions do not go back that far for the 8pre-es.

Has 1.2.9 been reliable enough? Any luck with AVB?

Return to “Computer Related Hardware”