Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Post Reply
User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Contact:

Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Michael Willis »

Looks like all of that time fighting with Nvidia drivers might be at an end:

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidi ... l-modules/

Of course this happens right after I bought a Radeon card because I was done fighing with Nvidia drivers.
User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by d.healey »

Benchmarks of the current alpha version:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... open&num=1
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
User avatar
milkii
Established Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Edinburgh
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 40 times
Contact:

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by milkii »

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh / LDAMWCM collaborative Google Sheet (old, broken yet)
User avatar
scott.thomason
Established Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:54 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by scott.thomason »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm Of course this happens right after I bought a Radeon card because I was done fighing with Nvidia drivers.
Nvidia cards are overpriced anyway. I used to buy about 100 at a time for the CAD engineers I supported, and we eventually switched over to ATI/AMD. Just as good.
---scott

LinkedIn
Kott
Established Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Kott »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm Looks like all of that time fighting with Nvidia drivers might be at an end:

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidi ... l-modules/

Of course this happens right after I bought a Radeon card because I was done fighing with Nvidia drivers.
I haven't touch Nvidia installer for years (though it worked for me), because Nvidia provides drivers for the rolling Tumbleweed https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/ and I think they have them for Ubuntu also.
Kott
Established Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Kott »

Nvidia said the same, just a kernel module, firmware and userspace libs are still closed.
It looks like they want to help themselves with supporting of the wise range of kernels.
RockMaster
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:26 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by RockMaster »

scott.thomason wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:13 am
Michael Willis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm Of course this happens right after I bought a Radeon card because I was done fighing with Nvidia drivers.
Nvidia cards are overpriced anyway. I used to buy about 100 at a time for the CAD engineers I supported, and we eventually switched over to ATI/AMD. Just as good.
Yeah, but Nvidia uses faster memory which is especially important for HiDPI. I have dual 4K@144Hz displays, so I had no choice but to go with Nvidia.
User avatar
bluzee
Established Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by bluzee »

In practical terms for users like us it won't change much. It can't go into mainstream as yet so we'll still have kernel choice limited to distro provided kernels and Nvidia driver install will still be an extra step.
Gps
Established Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Gps »

Kott wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:21 am
Michael Willis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm Looks like all of that time fighting with Nvidia drivers might be at an end:

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidi ... l-modules/

Of course this happens right after I bought a Radeon card because I was done fighing with Nvidia drivers.
I haven't touch Nvidia installer for years (though it worked for me), because Nvidia provides drivers for the rolling Tumbleweed https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/ and I think they have them for Ubuntu also.
I am surprised by this. I was told on the opensuse forums, that you can't use the propertary nvdia drvers with tumbleweed.
Maybe this is because there is no opensuse repository ?
I am however on an AMD card, because I know these give less issues on Linux.
But maybe this is finally gonna change.

I remember the times were the opensource drivers, from both amd and nvidia, were not an option if you wanted to game (3D) on Linux.
At least for amd this has changed already.
User avatar
bluzee
Established Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by bluzee »

We always said that Nvidia was shooting themselves in the foot. I imagine one data center probably buys more units than all the windows gamers combined. When they stopped buying Nvidia I suspect that was an eye opener.
Gps
Established Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Gps »

bluzee wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:28 pm We always said that Nvidia was shooting themselves in the foot. I imagine one data center probably buys more units than all the windows gamers combined. When they stopped buying Nvidia I suspect that was an eye opener.
Yeah the server market is probably also why Linux still exists.

Never say never, I also remember Nvidia stating, Fast video drivers for Linux ? Who games on Linux?

Then steam happened, and like it or not, nvidia wiped the floor with amd on Linux in games.
(In some games even getting more fps then on windows)

And here we are today, the opensource AMD drivers in very good state, and now nvidia, is like, if you cant beat them join them ? :P
Kott
Established Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Kott »

Gps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:51 pm I am surprised by this. I was told on the opensuse forums, that you can't use the propertary nvdia drvers with tumbleweed.
You've been mislead.
I remember the times were the opensource drivers, from both amd and nvidia, were not an option if you wanted to game (3D) on Linux.
At least for amd this has changed already.
I think your memory cheating you. There were 3dfx (Glide) and NVidia (OpenGL) since 90-x or 00-x. ATI (it's AMD now) was poorly supported for a long.

edit. sorry, opensource drivers - yes, is not an option.
Gps
Established Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Nvidia releases open source gpu kernel modules

Post by Gps »

Kott wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:07 am
Gps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:51 pm I am surprised by this. I was told on the opensuse forums, that you can't use the propertary nvdia drvers with tumbleweed.
You've been mislead.
I remember the times were the opensource drivers, from both amd and nvidia, were not an option if you wanted to game (3D) on Linux.
At least for amd this has changed already.
I think your memory cheating you. There were 3dfx (Glide) and NVidia (OpenGL) since 90-x or 00-x. ATI (it's AMD now) was poorly supported for a long.

edit. sorry, opensource drivers - yes, is not an option.
Well I had already seen an Arch user using the proprietary nividia drivers, but since I have an AMD card (RX 570) I did not care much about that statement. Opensuse is for a long time promoting the opensource drivers, even back when this was for gamers not an option.
In Teamfortress 2, I do have a Tux, on my belt. :P

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Tux/ ... le:Tux.png
Post Reply