Online jamming equipment for a laptop

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dyasny
Established Member

Online jamming equipment for a laptop

Post by dyasny »

Hi all,

I've recently started playing a bit online with folks over zoom, and running sound via a mike started getting old real fast.

I'm looking for a recommendation for something that would cover my (pretty simplistic at this point) needs:

What a have:
- A Fedora 34 laptop with a bluetooth adapter and a standard phone+mic 3.5mm jack and some USB ports of course (Lenovo T480s, T14s, X220)
- An electric guitar with a Valeton Rushhead max miniamp (which is plenty for my needs)
- A small 20W Peavey combo, again, nothing fancy and hopefully not needed for this setup once I've got some answers

What I want to do: plug the valetone into the guitar in otder to use the effects it provides, and from there plug it into a gizmo that would:
- push the sound into the incoming sound channel on the laptop (so it hits the zoom session)
- add a mic input so I can talk tot he people on the other side as well

Bascially I want to remain in the session but also mix in a channel coming from my amp, instead of doing everything in the air with a microphone.

All of this has to work with Linux, hopefully without too much kmod compiling (I'm on Fedora, not Gentoo here :) )

If you have experience with a similar type of rig or anything in my description is unclear, please feel free to comment.

Thanks everyone
dyasny
Established Member

Re: Online jamming equipment for a laptop

Post by dyasny »

Up
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

It's possible to get jack audio into Zoom, with some fiddling. That would probably do what you want.
dyasny
Established Member

Post by dyasny »

Right but what kind of USB mixer would work with Linux? Something in a decent price range, available from Amazon or Newegg and of course Linux compatible

I'm looking for equipment suggestions here
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Ah, gotcha.

I have a Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB which works well and wasn't too expensive. It's class-compliant and works out of the box. That's generally true of Behringer hardware, as far as I understand. The only caveat with this particular device is that its usb audio is only the stereo mix -- it doesn't make its individual tracks accessible to the computer as individual inputs.
dyasny
Established Member

Post by dyasny »

milo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 am Ah, gotcha.

I have a Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB which works well and wasn't too expensive. It's class-compliant and works out of the box. That's generally true of Behringer hardware, as far as I understand. The only caveat with this particular device is that its usb audio is only the stereo mix -- it doesn't make its individual tracks accessible to the computer as individual inputs.
Perfect! And I'll need to plug in an external microphone into it as well, right?
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Yes. A USB mic won't work with that setup.