Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen mixer driver

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Philotomy
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen mixer driver

Post by Philotomy »

Despite everything previously working fine, I ran into some recent trouble starting Jack. Eventually, my troubleshooting led me to the step of disabling the mixer driver (which was working fine while Jack wasn't running). Once I disabled the mixer driver, I could start Jack, again. The error messages that I received when trying to start Jack with the mixer driver enabled are listed in the thread linked, above.

Not sure what changed (I'm running Arch, and I'm sure I've run pacman -Syu and updated the system since the last time I successfully started Jack with the mixer enabled), but thought I'd give a heads-up in this thread. If anyone has any clue as to what the root cause of the problem is/was, I'd be interested.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2

sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Have you tried the driver with latest changes from me?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.

Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

sadko4u wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm
Have you tried the driver with latest changes from me?
No, I haven't. I'm currently using the driver included in the main kernel (currently running 5.9.9-arch1-1). FWIW, to get that to work I needed to plug the 18i8 Gen2 into a USB 3.0 port and make sure it used xhci. Currently, I have the 18i8 Gen2 plugged into a USB 2.0 port with the driver disabled.

I've been catching up on the thread. Thank you for your additional work on this. I'll look into compiling a new kernel with your driver changes and let you know how that works with the 18i8 Gen2. It might be a few weeks, though, with the holidays, and considering that this is my main "daily driver" workstation.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2