Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

kc7gr

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3

Postby kc7gr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 am

Has anyone had any success getting the Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen interface going with Ubuntu 18.04? Particularly in terms of setting up its mixer functions?

My searching on this topic has been inconclusive. Please excuse me if this question duplicates another thread.

Thanks much.

geoffrey
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3

Postby geoffrey » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:35 pm

kc7gr wrote:Has anyone had any success getting the Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen interface going with Ubuntu 18.04? Particularly in terms of setting up its mixer functions?

My searching on this topic has been inconclusive. Please excuse me if this question duplicates another thread.

Thanks much.

Hi kc7gr,

I can't comment on the 18i20 3rd Gen specifically, but I've just received a 4i4 3rd Gen and it's the same deal as the 2nd Gen units — the USB class-compliant I/O functionality works fine but setting up the internal routing/mixing functionality needs a driver which can talk the proprietary protocol. It retains the settings so you can set up the routing as you want in Windows then use it in Linux.

I've written a driver for the 6i6, 18i8, and 18i20 2nd Gen units which will be included in Linux 5.4, and I've started on a driver for the 4i4 3rd Gen. The 4i4 3rd Gen protocol is quite similar to the protocol used in the 2nd Gen units (I already have all the routing/mixer functionality working), and so I would expect a driver for the 18i20 3rd Gen would also not take very long to write if someone would like to loan or donate a unit for me to develop with.

Regards,
Geoffrey.

Return to “Computer Related Hardware”