ACM500-series VST3 Plug-Ins for Linux, VST updates

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

ACM500-series VST3 Plug-Ins for Linux, VST updates

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

Applied Computer Music Technologies (developers of the OverTone DSP range of plug-ins) now have updated VST2 and new VST3 versions of their Linux plug-ins available. The ACM500, ACM510, ACM210 and ACM-2A plug-ins are available to download and demo for free at:

www.acmt.co.uk/products/

In addition to the VST3 releases, V2.1.0 provides some bug fixes and improvements to the VST2 plug-ins. The ACM series of plug-ins provide a clean modern UI (the perfect antidote to skeuomorphic overload), combined with high quality DSP and low CPU demand.

VST2 Bug fixes:

Splash-screen / license entry workaround for KDE.
XRandR improves splash-screen / license entry placement on multiple monitor setups.
Fixed window icons not showing in dock on Ubuntu / GNOME.
Various installer improvements.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Re: ACM500-series VST3 Plug-Ins for Linux, VST updates

I'm going to bump this announcement because it kind of got instantly buried by some (old) stuff about mixbus. I've been involved in Linux audio for the last decade, and I think its important Linux users know about these plug-ins, developed specifically for Linux. (They also work with Ardour / Mixbus amongst other hosts :) )
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

These look great but are they just reskinned versions of the overtone range?
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

No - they're not just reskinned - the UI is more modern, but underneath they also build on the original OverTone DSP processing - what we wanted to do was to take that and improve it, but without breaking what many considered desirable about the originals. So, these for example have an improved transformer / saturation model for the ACM-2A, the ACM500 has new parameter ranges (+/-12dB in the mid range vs + /- 15dB in the high / low together with a switchable HPF at 75Hz, and a Q vs the bandwidth control in the EQ500 all of which make it a little less extreme, but more manageable than the EQ500 in a lot of ways. Similarly, the ACM510 has a reference level more comparable to analogue designs (it was a conscious design decision of the DYN500 to aim it more a digital levels - which a lot of users find useful, but sometimes makes it difficult to really drive it). In addition it has a 75Hz switchable HPF in the side-chain, to help reduce 'pumping' on bass heavy material.
Together these should provide the ideal kit of professional processing for serious Linux audio users, and also for those looking to make the switch from other platforms to Linux. Linux audio has come a long way, and now more than ever is a credible alternative, with more plug-ins being ported all the time and more DAW applications available. So, this is really our 'bet' on Linux being the platform of choice for many audio professionals in the future...
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I already own all old Overtone VSTs. Is or will there be any "upgrade option" for people that already paid for the plugins?
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

There isn't a planned upgrade path, these are different products in their own right (and we have, and continue to provide free updates to the other plug-ins for existing users). The cost is intended to be minimal for a professional quality product. (While I do appreciate the many great Linux plug-ins available for free - or just the investment in time for getting them to build - these are intended as a 'turn-key' solution, and as independent developers and not a giant mega-corporation, at the very least we need to cover the cost of making them, and of making them available).
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 pm There isn't a planned upgrade path, these are different products in their own right (and we have, and continue to provide free updates to the other plug-ins for existing users). The cost is intended to be minimal for a professional quality product. (While I do appreciate the many great Linux plug-ins available for free - or just the investment in time for getting them to build - these are intended as a 'turn-key' solution, and as independent developers and not a giant mega-corporation, at the very least we need to cover the cost of making them, and of making them available).
Thanks Mike for clearifying. I'll continue using the older ones and pull the trigger if I feel the need to upgrade. :D
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 pm There isn't a planned upgrade path, these are different products in their own right (and we have, and continue to provide free updates to the other plug-ins for existing users).
Hello Mike,

I have all plugins. Do you email customers about updates ?
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

We normally let people know about significant updates - you can always download the latest versions from the website.