Mixbus32C v6

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Mixbus32C v6

Post by jonetsu »

Mixbus32C v6 is there. $79 is the upgrade price.

Promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2lsbVIy2o

From the promo email:

** What’s New in Mixbus32C v6?
------------------------------------------------------------
* Harrison 5th generation Mixbus processing engine with many improvements including smoother operation, extensive latency compensation, and cue-monitoring (the ability to hear live input and playback at the same time on a track).
* Dedicated FX buses: Mixbuses 1-8 can now assign to mixbuses 9-12, permitting their use as dedicated FX buses or matrix outputs.
* The EQ, Sends, and Input/Recording sections can now be shown&hidden, allowing Mixbus32C to fit on smaller monitors.
* Foldback buses allow the building of unlimited custom cue mixes for artists.
* ...plus hundreds of additional fixes and improvements! Scroll down to see some highlights!

5th Generation Mixbus Engine

The v6 release involves several deep improvements in the 5th generation Mixbus engine:

** Latency compensation:
* In addition to the Harrison Mixbus console (which has always been latency-compensated) it is now possible to add additional buses alongside the tracks, which can be used for additional grouping, fx sends, and other tasks. And these buses are now fully latency-compensated just like the regular mixbuses>master path.
* Plugin Delay Compensation (PDC) can now be disabled when you want the shortest path from input to output (when playing through a virtual instrument, for example).

** Cue-Monitoring:
* By default, MIDI tracks will now monitor both the “Input” and “Disk” when they are in automatic mode. You may override this on a per-track basis and choose to monitor the Input or Disk, only.
* Audio tracks can now monitor both the input and disk simultaneously, when rehearsing a punch-in, for example.

** Dedicated FX buses: Mixbuses 9 -12:
* Mix buses 1-8 can now be directly routed to mix buses 9-12 with independent level control (and independent pan as well if desired).
* This permits mix buses 9-12 to be used as dedicated effects send buses, or as matrix outputs.

** Show & hide the EQ, Sends, and Input/Recording sections
* On smaller monitors, the EQ, Sends, and Input/Record sections may be individually shown or hidden. Just click to show the section that you are working on; or hide all 3 to maximize the available plugin space.
* Monitors that meet our minimum recommendation (1200 pixels height) can still show the full 32C channelstrip, as in v5.

** Foldback buses
* Foldback buses are used to create headphone mixes for your performers.
* A foldback bus can combine any mixer strips, either pre- or post-fader, into a stereo cue feed.
* Every foldback bus has its own plugins and fader, allowing you to create a complete custom sound for each artist.
* It is possible to remotely control foldback mixes from a tablet or phone application running TouchOSC or Lemur. (pre-configured templates coming soon)

And Many More!

** Enhanced transport syncing with varispeed recording

Mixbus can now record while chasing external timecode sources that are varispeeding (playing faster or slower than 100%). All potential timecode sources are now displayed on a single window, each with its current timecode location. The active synchronization source can be selected on-the-fly.

** “Cut” tool

In addition to the existing region splitting action (with the 's' key), a Cut/Scissor tool is provided similar to those used in other DAWs.

** Source List + Region List

The “Region List” has been redesigned to show only the regions actually in use in the current snapshot. The secondary function of the region list (showing the source files for every region) has been moved into its own dedicated section, the “Source List”

** Region List

The “Region List” shows only the regions that are used in the current snapshot. Selecting a region in the editor canvas will select it in the region-list, and vice-versa. The ability to select a bunch of regions and "tag" them is especially useful for book-on-tape and other post-production tasks.

** Source List

The “Source list” shows the file sources used by the session, whether they are used in the current snapshot or not. Sources have a "Take ID", or timestamp, so you can locate and recover that great take from yesterday's session.

** Tagging Regions and Sources

Regions and Sources may be “tagged” together, which can help in session management. For example you can tag all the regions that were part of a good overdub; or you can tag regions with the phrase they represent.

** Virtual MIDI Keyboard

An on-screen keyboard is available to enter rhythms and melodies when you don’t have a physical MIDI keyboard available. The virtual keyboard maps your QWERTY keyboard into a note-input device.

** Native MP3 Import & Export on all platforms

In the past, only Mac could import mp3’s using the apple built-in decoder. Now Windows and Linux can also import mp3 directly.
MP3 files are converted to a .wav file (inside the session folder) for internal use.

But wait, there's still more! Version 6 includes several of our most popular user-requested features, including:
* The Mixbus32C EQ and Filters now print the Frequency and Gain concurrently in the channel slate, when the knob is turned.
* Channel Name Slates now show the track number turns red if the track is record-armed, and use a larger, higher-contrast font.
* Renaming a mixbus will automatically display the new name beside the channel strip send knobs (a highly requested feature from regular Mixbus)
* Channel VCA and phase (polarity) switches have been returned to the main channel strip.
ufug
Established Member

Re: Mixbus32C v6

Post by ufug »

Wow.

This is an absolutely massive update! A bunch of these changes have been on my wish list for a long time and I am really glad they are happening.

Mixbus is an amazing DAW and criminally underappreciated.
listenable at c6a7.org
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I've been using v6 on mixes started with v5, no problem at all. This said, some people have reported problems, so there might very well be an update.
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

The dual-mode montoring (hear both the on-dist and the recorded channel) mode is worth the upgrade price, all by itself. Anybody know how much of the MB32 6.0 feature set is landed in Ardour git?
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I must say that I don't get the use case for this dual mode. In which case can this be used ?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:I must say that I don't get the use case for this dual mode. In which case can this be used ?
You can listen to your track and overdub at the same time. In case when using it only for mixing it might not be needed though.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I see. I kinda remember that there was an incredible, unbelieveable problem with Ardour and Mixbus when doing punch in/out. That was before I started using Bitwig for creation.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I am waiting for 6 for Mixbus (I don't use 32c). Since discovering Mixbus I don't use anything else.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

jonetsu wrote:I've been using v6 on mixes started with v5, no problem at all. This said, some people have reported problems, so there might very well be an update.
Yep the old v5 mixes some have a phasing issue.
Ihad to remix a few.
Also some of the stock plugins like aEQ and aReverb, Mixbus says it can't find.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

funkmuscle wrote:Also some of the stock plugins like aEQ and aReverb, Mixbus says it can't find.
Many posts say that plugin rescan is needed.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I had to do the rescan.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tavasti wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Also some of the stock plugins like aEQ and aReverb, Mixbus says it can't find.
Many posts say that plugin rescan is needed.
Yes that was done many times yet those stock plugins will not load. Mixbus sees them but says can't load them.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

This is the issue I've mentioned earlier. I was away so sorry for the late posting.
Anyone having these issues?

Code: Select all

2020-02-20T12:23:24 [ERROR]: LV2: Failed to instantiate plugin urn:ardour:a-eq
2020-02-20T12:23:37 [ERROR]: LV2: Failed to instantiate plugin urn:ardour:a-comp